From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Popup menu disappears when array shows different units

I seem to have found a curious bug in LabVIEW (version 8.0.1, WinXP). The popup menu disappears for all objects, only leaving the shadow on the right and bottom. It seems to be linked to having an array (on front panel or block diagram) of numbers with physical units which is displaying more than one unit label, e.g. one cell displaying "1 s" and another cell displaying "100 ms". The format has to be "SI notation". If this array is present, all objects on the panel (or the block diagram if it is an array constant) will lose their popup menu, and only the shadow outline is visible when you right click an object. If you resize the array to only show identical unit labels the popup menus appear normally.

Is this a known bug? It seems that bugs related to physical units are very low priority.

/Tobias

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,270 Views)
I was able to confirm the problem in 8.0 and 8.5.1.

I don't see it on the current list of known issues, so I will add it to the current bug list.

Atatched is a VI which demonstrates the problem.

Message Edited by Matthew Kelton on 05-13-2008 11:03 AM
Message 2 of 7
(3,262 Views)
I don't see that in my LV 8.5.  When I change the units of one element, it seems to change the units of all the elements in the array.  But sometimes it adds a k for thousands if I don't want it to, or just do some other odd stuff that is different from what I typed.  But in all cases, the right click pop up still comes up.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,245 Views)
You don't change the units.  LV will change them.

In my example, enter 1 for the first array element, and 1m for the second array element.  LabVIEW will automatically change the units of the second element to ms and keep the first at s.

Here is the same VI with data in it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,238 Views)

Matthew Kelton wrote:
You don't change the units.  LV will change them.

In my example, enter 1 for the first array element, and 1m for the second array element.  LabVIEW will automatically change the units of the second element to ms and keep the first at s.

Here is the same VI with data in it.

Gotcha. I was just working with the units label, I wasn't  adding an m to the value within the numeric.  Once I did that, I saw the issue with the popup menu.  It seems to affect not only that control, but other control's popup menus as well.  I noticed that if I try to edit the label for that item in the array after doing your instructions, the label seemed to flicker between ms and s.

Also, if I got to the menu bar and click on File or edit or any of them, same issue.  If I click, slide right or left to another menu, the menu appears.  If I slide back, the menu I originally clicked appears okay.

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 05-13-2008 01:30 PM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,231 Views)
Hi guys

This behaviour has been checked again and has ben added to the NI bug list. A CAR has now been created for this bug.

Thanks for reporting and confirming it guys

Rob L

NI Applications Engineer

UK & Ireland

It only takes a click to rate this message 😉
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,088 Views)

For those keeping track of bug ID numbers,

This was reported to R&D (# 118111) for further investigation.

Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,075 Views)