From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical memory of the PC get increased while using a VI but it didn't reduced when the same is closed.

Hi, I have faced a problem while reading a Comman Separated file(.CSV) using read spreadsheet function. Before reading the file, physical memory of the PC was 110MB. When i tried to read a file of size 200MB the physical memory of the PC increases to 2GB. After that I closed the VI but my physical memory doesn't  get reduced to the previous one, untill I restart my LabVIEW.

PC Configuration:

I3, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 64bit & LabVIEW 2014 64bit.

Anyone faced this issue kindly help me to solve it. Thanks in advance..!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,574 Views)

Hi guna,

LabVIEW uses it's own memory manager!

It will allocate memory from OS when it needs to - like when reading in a larger CSV file and converting the contained data.

And it will free the memory when it thinks it's a good idea/time to do so.

So what's your problem with having LabVIEW allocating some amount of memory?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,565 Views)

Thanks GredW,

Actually reading the CSV file and populating the data is one part of my application. I used to read that data for my analysis. When I try to read two CSV files of same size(200MB), the physical memory goes upto 95% and my PC started hanging. Is there any alternate method to do this without PC hanging.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,509 Views)

Hi guna,

- avoid data copies

- don't process the files in memory

- read only parts of those files to process the data

- use a bigger PC 😄

- use software dedicated to data analysis like DIADEM

- there are even more possibilities - but you need to provide more information on your exact problem…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,502 Views)