From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Path to dynamic-dispatch member VI

Solved!
Go to solution
At run-time, I need to create a list of paths to each of the callees of my VI, including class member VI's.

For non-class-member VI's, I can simply use the Callees' Names property to get a list of VI names, open a reference to each VI, and get the VI Path property.  However, class-member VI's (specifically dynamic-dispatch member VI's as I have no static dispatch VI's in this case) do not seem to appear in the Callees' Names property.

What is the best way to determine the path to a dynamic-dispatch member callee VI, or is this not possible?

Thanks.

Mark Moss

Message Edited by MarkMoss on 05-14-2007 10:56 AM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,727 Views)
Hi Mark,

This was reported to R&D (#49FBDUG0) for further investigation.  I think the name of the Dynamic Dispatch VI should show up in the list of Callee's Names since all possible VIs called will have the same name, however the actual path of the VI would be hard to know, since by their nature, a Dynamically Dispatched VI can be different depending on what class is passed to it.  To get the actual path, you'd probably have to return that information from the called VI itself.
Doug M
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
For those unfamiliar with NBC's The Office, my icon is NOT a picture of me 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,703 Views)
[Developer's Note] This CAR is closed as "not a bug." The existing property for getting all callees is strictly for statically invoked VIs. There are existing VIs that use the callees list that would break if the dynamic dispatching VIs were listed by that property. There are other tools that may be considered in the future for getting all the dynamic dispatch VIs that may be called by a given VI, but we will not be changing this property's behavior.

Message Edited by Aristos Queue on 06-01-2007 03:34 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,666 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MarkMoss
So, now that I've rejected the CAR, you probably want an answer to your original question of how to get all the dynamic dispatch VIs that a may be invoked by a given VI.
Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. Properties/methods for exposing this have been requested but nothing has been implemented to get this information directly. You can -- if you have somehow gained access to scripting -- traverse a block diagram looking for all the nodes that have dynamic dispatch input terminals and then, using the name label of those nodes, traverse all class hiearchies in memory asking for any class that has a VI of that name. It is not trivial to do at all.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,662 Views)
OK, now that I know 'it can't be done'.  I don't feel so bad about trying to find a  'kludge' solution.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,654 Views)