From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password Protected VI Preventing Labview from Opening

Hello all,

One of my team members was using the SD6 Teleop example, and did something (I have no idea what) and now when I try and open the project as it is loading I get a popup that says:

NI_Robotics_Wheel.lvclass is password protected. Enter the password to allow editing to the library.

Then has a space to enter the password, and a cancel button. If I press the cancel button, it just pops up again. Anyone have any idea what I can do to get labview to load or what the password is or where I can find it? Its not a password we put into labview. Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,074 Views)

This problem might happen because the VIs for that LabVIEW class are in an older version of LabVIEW. If you can mass compile them, then it would update them to a newer version of LabVIEW and it might not ask you for a password. Can you find any VIs in vi.lib/robotics? If so, try doing a mass compile on them.

Take care,

Jeremy Pearson

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,015 Views)

Thank you for the response. I was able to bypass the problem by simply 'x'ing the prompt for the password four or five times each time it comes up. It seems as though someone moved or changed something in a protected VI, and it is trying to save the VI, which is why its asking me for the password. Which leads me to another question, why am I repeatedely asked to save changes to VIs when I havent made changes or have already saved them? And when you make a change to a VI  and then close it you get the prompt to save it or defer the saving until later, why is there not a way to not save or discard the changes? This is specifically in reference to the pre made driver or sub vis.

Ive attached a picture of what I am referring to. This prompt to save changes came up when I tried to run the robot main vi. I just opened it, and hadnt made any changes, I just opened it and ran it. I was asked to save the changes last night when I closed the program as well.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,006 Views)

These are all really great questions that you are asking and the answers are somewhat interesting. Each VI includes information about the block diagram, data that is saved in shift registers, front panel objects, default values for the front panel objects, and other things. If any of this information changes at all, then the VI has changed and it should prompt you to update those changes. Even if you run the VI without making other changes, there is a possibility that there is a shift register somewhere in the code that has updated and could require a save. Also, I have heard of a bug in which LabVIEW, under certain conditions, will prompt you to save even though you haven't even run the VI. I am sorry about the inconvenience and I can understand that it can be somewhat frustrating.

Typically LabVIEW will give you a prompt to save or defer decisions until later when you close a VI or other file that is inside a project that is open in another window. It gives you the option to defer the decision until later, which means that it keeps the changes in memory until you close the LabVIEW project. When you close the project, if you do not select "Save All", you will lose all the changes that you have made to all of the VIs that you have selected "Defer decision". In other words, "Defer decision" really means "Defer decision so that the LabVIEW project can still use the changes in this VI". I also wonder if it would be good to give you the option to immediately drop the changes that you have made. We should file a suggestion to R&D.

Take care,

Jeremy P.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,954 Views)

Thanks for your response. An option to discard the changes would be very helpful, and that was another thing I wondered about.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,912 Views)