LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDA with barcode scanner - update vi w/out user interaction?

Hello Everyone!
I am developing an application which will use a PDA and a barcode scanner.  I would like to be able to have the operator scan an item & proceed to the next test step w/out the operator having to push an "OK" button on the PDA screen.
The barcode scanner sends data to the string control just like the keyboard does while typing keys - (I think keyboard wedge is the proper terminology).  Since the PDA module does not provide the update while typing property node I am not sure how to get the string control to update the vi without some user interaction.  Currently I am giving the string control key focus & the barcode scan is sent to the control correctly but the only way to get the control to update is to touch anywhere on the PDA screen (take focus away from the string control).  I have tried some of the examples on the forum which use the carriage return sent from the scanner & key navigation to toggle an ok button but this also does not appear to work with the PDA.  The example I have posted is looking for a ":" which is sent as the last character from the scanner to determine if the scanner has sent data. I just can't find a way to have the program take focus away from the string control so that touching the PDA screen would not be necessary. 
I know that there are many Labview experts on this forum & I hope there is a workable solution to this problem!
Thanks In Advance For Your Help,
Bob  Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,222 Views)

I can't try it, but ..

can you toggle the focus between two string inputs every ???ms ? 

slice back both to get the hole string

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,182 Views)
Bob,

Something I also have not tried would be programmatically setting the focus on some other dummy control on the PDA front panel when the “:” character is detected. You could then quickly switch focus back to the main string control before the user would have made another scan. Does this successfully mimic the action of a user changing the key focus?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,169 Views)