From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDA Serial Problem

I am having a bit of an issue I am using LabVIEW 8.6 mobile modual and my problem is that I am trying to read from a COM port that is connected to my GPS I am getting NMEA Messages, but not all the GPS messages, I have another program running on the same port (not at the same time though) and it reads all the NMEA messages. Here is a screen shot of the code I am using that is not geting all the massages.

PS

My program is recieving the NMEA commands one at a time and I don't want that. I want them to show up at the same time like the other program I have.

Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
*Kudos always welcome:)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,346 Views)

Hi Harold,

I'm not sure how your GPS sends/receives commands, but the image you posted doesn't write any serial commands to the GPS. I am guessing that you will have to write a command(s) that tells it to send the GPS messages. 

As far as all of the messages showing up at the same time, this is also going to depend on your device and how it sends messages. If it does send them one at a time, you can build them into an array and wait to display them until they are all available.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,316 Views)

I am using GPS Gate to make sure that the GPS is running I have another program I wrote some time ago running and it is recieving all the messages at one time this is what I want, but the program you see here does not view all the GPS messages at once instead it views the messages 1 at a time. on the older program it is recieving 300+ bits at a time and on my new program it is recieving 40-70 bits at a time I don't know why this is.

Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
*Kudos always welcome:)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,312 Views)

Hi Harold,

Have you tried polling the value of "Bytes at Port" until it reaches the value you want and then reading it in? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,286 Views)

Have a look at http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Retrieve-GPS-coordinates-using-bluetooth-on-PDA/m-p/471595#M227224 for some ideas, this was using a BT GPS with Labview on a PDA, you will need to remove the BT part and replace with serial coms but the way it builds the NMEA string and parses out specific values might give you a few ideas, you don't have to send anything to the GPS it just sits there spitting data out for you to capture and read - Mike

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,176 Views)