cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening two submenus parallely

Solved!
Go to solution

@Norbert_B wrote:

Do you have two mouse pointers to control these submenus? Are these controlled by a single mouse or do you use two (or more) mice?

Norbert

I have single mouse pointer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 23
(682 Views)

@Ranjeet_Singh wrote:

@RavensFan wrote:

Who made the .NET application that can do this?  Can you show it with both menus being open simultaneously?
I have never seen an application behave this way.

Another question.  If you click on the first menu and it pops up, then you click on the second menu and it pops up while the first remains up (whereas normal menus the first will go away), how do you ultimately get one or both menus to go away when you are done with them?

Unfortunately my .NET application developer doesn't know LabVIEW. There are application like this also. 

What I need is when user selects the second menu then I don't want first menu to be close first. If it is minimized then no problem, if it remains up but minimized fine with me.

It doesn't matter whether the .NET application developer knows LabVIEW.  I'm just wondering what their application looks like when you use it.  As I said simultaneous menus is something I've never seen and seems like it goes against any rules or recommendations about User Interface design.  Post a screen shot from this .NET application that shows this.

Show some examples if you say they exist!

@Ranjeet_Singh wrote:

My menu is like this.

Config  --> Configure the com port for communication (Obviously need to be done once)

Testing --> Testing will be done and hence pass fail and total number also will be maintained.

Report  --> That will show the report by date and model wise in one day of any model.

Add      --> Add parameter 

Exit     --> Exit my application.

Now in my between testing if user wants to view the report then my numbers will again start from 0. For this I have a solution that before exit I can write to the database and retrieve it but this very lengthy procedure.

So if user is able to open testing and report vi simultaneously then the data will not be lost.

I don't understand how a menu closing causes your report numbers to revert back to zero.

If you close your application and you want it to remember data from where it left off the next time you open it, then of course you are going to have to store that info in a file.  It doesn't need to be a database.

If you are saying that going from your first menu to your second menu is causing you to lose data, then something is wrong with your LabVIEW code.  You are not maintaining the data in your code properly between loop iterations.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 23
(664 Views)

When user goes from one menu to other then I dont want for that user to close the first window then go for second. He can go for second menu then first menu VI will be minimised.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 23
(642 Views)

And you still haven't shown an application that demonstrates this behavior.

Maybe you are using the wrong terminology.  You say "menu", but perhaps you are talking about a window or some dialog box.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 23
(630 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

And you still haven't shown an application that demonstrates this behavior.

Maybe you are using the wrong terminology.  You say "menu", but perhaps you are talking about a window or some dialog box.

Yes you are right, I am talking about window

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 23
(622 Views)

Can you post your current approach?

All we've seen up til now is a screenshot showing a menu....

Point is, as Ravens already made clear:

Browsing the menu as user normally does not trigger ANYTHING in the code. If the user CLICKS on a menu item, the code should perform some actions.

I assume now that you have one item opening an additional window. When the user again uses the same menu (primary window of the application), that sub-window should still be open even if the next menu item the user clicks on opens another window.

Is this use-case what you are talking about?

Why should anything in the menu (and its handling) deal with that "multiple window issue"?

Norbert

PS: My remark before was a joke. I have never consciously seen any OS having more than a single mouse pointer. Using several mice is possible, but they all control the same mouse pointer.

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 23
(612 Views)

I think, we are lost in misunderstanding common terminology. Everybody except Ranjeet means with a menu a "popup menu". In my practice sometimes costumers call a window with buttons to start different actions a menu.

So Ranjeet, it is now on you to exactly and completely explain, how your approach looks like to prevent us from further guessing, what you could mean.

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 23
(607 Views)

@Ranjeet_Singh wrote:

Yes you are right, I am talking about window

Doesn't the window stay visible if you set it to Floating?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 23
(604 Views)

Here is my example 

After exploring I realized that I am calling each VI using call by reference. So I need to call all of them asynchronously

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 23
(590 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

Doesn't the window stay visible if you set it to Floating?

/Y

Yes window is visible but minimized after user clicks on other menu

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 23
(588 Views)