From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Spreadsheet Message

After creating a spreadsheet file using the Write to Spreadsheet File.vi I get the attached message when opening the resulting file.  In other words I get this message when opening the file using Excel.  I’ve set the program to save the files with the XLS extension.  The file opens OK if I click Yes.

I cannot open the resulting spreadsheet if I use the XLSX extension.

I’m using LV 2010 SP1, Win-XP and Excel v. 2007.

How do I avoid getting the above message and why does it not work when using the XLSX extension?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,086 Views)

You should be aware that you are actually creating a text file and not an actual xls document. It happens that Excel is happy to read a comma or tab separated spreadshheet file but it is obvious that the format is different.

I've never tried naming a text file with the xlsx extension but since the format is not even close to the xml format, I'm not a bit surprise it will not open correctly. That would be a question for Microsoft. Nothing at all to do with LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,080 Views)

Take a look in this thread and see if it can be of any help. If you want to use .xlsx / .xls / .csv there is no problem using the Free Excel Toolkit described in that thread. There are also some examples there and how to use the toolkit. It's a very useful tool if you don't have to MS Office report generation toolkit.  

Regards,
Even

Automated Test Developer
Topro AS
Norway
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,067 Views)

Hi Dennis,

I would have thought that saving a file using the write to spreadsheet function would be writing a spreadsheet file. Thank you for clarifying that it's a text file.  I've explained to the end user to save it as a spreadshee file (XLSX) after opening and then there's no pop-up message later when they open it again.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,044 Views)