From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odbc text driver

I have recently upgraded my LabVIEW from version 6 to 8. This Requrid me to remake the Vi program as the old version was not compatible with labView 8.

The program in the basic form takes in 8 sensor inputs and puts them into a text file, that is then inserted into a spread sheet.

In the old version The Txt file is updated as the VI is running ,once you have told the VI to stop logging the information ,You are able to run the Excell Program and that will take the txt file and display the information. This is done without having to close down the VI.

In the new version The Txt file is updated as the VI is running ,once you have told the VI to stop logging the information ,The Text file is there and the same format as previous. But if you try to run the excell program without closing the vi you get the following message.

[microsoft] [ODBC Text Driver] the microsoft jet database engine cannot open file (unkown) its already opened exclusively .

If you then shut the VI down and try again , works fine. LabView 8 must be holding on to something that labview 6 is not.

My txt file is being opened and closed in the same part of the program as the old version.

is there something i am missing that closes the ODBC text driver. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,546 Views)

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the question.  This error sometimes occurs when the user is not logged in as administrator; what are your user privileges?

If logging in as administrator did not resolve the issue, can you provide us with more detail of what you're working on?

1.  Which OS are you using?
2.  Are you using the NI_Database_API_lvlib: DB Open/Close Connection.vi?

Regards,

Lisa

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,495 Views)

Thank for getting Back to me Lisa.

I do Have Administrator preferences , that was my first thought.

The operating system is "windows XP Pro" with labview 8.

I have attached a copy of the program.

I am not using The NI_Database_API_lvlib: DB Open/Close Connection.vi 

instead Using a simple open file - write to file - close file routine.

This puts the information into a format that ill Excel spreadsheet program understands ( I did not want to have to mess about with this)

The Program updates the text file without an error .

When you stop logging data (but not stopped the VI ) The Text files are there, up to date.

But excel will not open it till you close labveiw

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,478 Views)

Hello,

Can you try running a simple write to text example from the shipping examples to see if you're still experiencing this issue? If so, it's probably because you're not closing out the reference somewhere in the VI.

Help >> Find Examples
Search "text" and use "Write to Text File."

Thanks,

Lisa

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,461 Views)