From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtain all application instances

Hi,

another request for some private scripting functionality (I assume!)

I need an array of references of all the LabVIEW application instances currently running on a local machine.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Al

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,769 Views)

Hello Al,

Thanks for creating a discussion forum post. If I understand your question correctly these examples should help you out.

Firstly, you can view the VIs which are currently running or loaded into memory. When in a VI, go to Tools>Profile> Performance and Memory.. 

Secondly, it seems to me that you want to do this programmatically. I suggest you look at the following example:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/E5726FB3FD4ADF3586256F0E0069AAA8?OpenDocument

I have attached a VI that I have created which will check for all VIs in memory then give you the state of each VI (idle, running.. etc.) in an array.

Please let me know if I misunderstood your question or if you have any other questions related to this topic.

Thank you,

Vimal Fernandez

ELP Engineer

Applications Engineering

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,740 Views)

@Al1234 wrote:

Hi,

another request for some private scripting functionality (I assume!)

I need an array of references of all the LabVIEW application instances currently running on a local machine.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Al

Hey Al,

I recently answered a forum question similar to this which you may find useful.

Alex Thomas, University of Manchester School of EEE LabVIEW Ambassador (CLAD)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,723 Views)

Hi Thanks for the replies,

I'll explain my problem with a little more detail. I have a password cache clearing VI that works fine when it runs in the same instance as the target. But if I build this as an exe I need to input the required application instance - or iterate through an array of application references to make it work.

(clear password cache)

Hence the request for an array of references to application instances.

Al

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,711 Views)

@Al1234 wrote:

Hi Thanks for the replies,

I'll explain my problem with a little more detail. I have a password cache clearing VI that works fine when it runs in the same instance as the target. But if I build this as an exe I need to input the required application instance - or iterate through an array of application references to make it work.

(clear password cache)

Hence the request for an array of references to application instances.

Al

So, if I've got this right, you've got a password cache clearing VI that when built as an executable, needs a reference to a particular VI in order to clear the cache and to do this you need a reference application. If this is right, then what's the problem with the given solutions so far? Vimal's solution in particular seems like it will suit your application well in this instance, unless I'm missing the point. Could you please explain what you are trying to accomplish in as much detail as possible?

Alex Thomas, University of Manchester School of EEE LabVIEW Ambassador (CLAD)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,700 Views)