LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Streams from LabVIEW to Java Reader

Hello,

I have to export acquired data on-the fly to a Java recepient. I have never done network streaming and I am looking at the Netwotrk Streams functionality which seems pretty easy to implement in LabVIEW. I understand I should initiate a stream by creating the writer endpoint. However, on the other side the Reader should be a Java application that already expects a certain packing of my data to combine it with a streamed video.

My first option would be to try and pack streamed data in the way it is expected on the other end. If this is not feasible with Network Streams, is it feasible on TCP level communication?

Second and my preferred option is the .NET programmer to intercept my data and pass it to the Java app. In this case what should he do to make the reader endpoint?

Any hints or guidance?

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,190 Views)

There's no NetworkStreamingLibrary integrated with the latest version of NI Measurement Studio. I hope it will be integrated with the next version.

If you want to use NetworkStreaming within C# try to write your own wrapper in LV. The Application Builder can build a suitable .net assembly.

Hope it helps

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,180 Views)

Dear Christian,

Thank you for your prompt response. Do I understand correctly that I cannot code a Reader in .NET (C, C++, C#, ...) that can intercept network stream from a LV Writer? If that is true, than what about the TCP communication - LV streaming to .NET listener, is this feasible?

R

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,173 Views)

Maybe you can code a Reader! Smiley Wink  But without any external (outside LV) library support I can't.

The big advantage of LV NetworkStreaming is the support of LV data types and I'm not even thinking about to decode them by myself outside LV.

Maybe SharedVariables are fast enough for you. There you have all the connectivity features (incl. LV data types) you are looking for but it's not as fast as NetworkStreaming.

TCPIP should work anyway.

Hope it helps

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,168 Views)

As Christian mentioned without a library to call from your other application you would need to reverse engineer the protocol that NI is using with their network streaming. I suspect this would not be easy. However, you can use the native TCP VI's with a basic protocol you create which will allow you to stream your data. The nature of the protocol would depend on what you need to do and the type of data you are sending.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,165 Views)

I hope Network Streams will be integrated with Measurement Studio.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,082 Views)