cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network-Published Shared Variable

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I'm having trouble with network published shared variables on the most basic level.

We have a few PCs connected to the same network in our lab and i would like to use network shared variables but when i define such a variable on a pc (lets say pc 1) it doesn't appear on other PCs on the DSM (Distributed System Manager). Hopefully im making some rookie mistake. What iv'e done is according to the example online in the ni site:

1. On pc 1: create a project, create a new variable ("Variable1"), and define it as "network published".

2. click the untitleld library under which the above variable is found and click deploy all.

3. On pc 2: create a variable -> network published -> Enable Aliasing  -> Bind to: psp url -> Browse

This is the part where i'm supposed to see the variable but i don't. Also on PC2 iv'e looked under the DSM and i see pc1, i even see the untitled library but i don't see the variable.

Please tell me what i'm missing / doing wrong

p.s using the example vi for the shared variable also bares the same result.

Thanks in advance,

John

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,209 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JohnG9

If you can, try disabling the firewall on the pc hosting the variable.  If the variable shows up then you need to configure firewall rules for shared variables.   There are white papers on this, when im back at work i can post the configuration i use if you need it.  Of course dont turn the firewall off permanantly unless you know it is safe to do so.

Message 2 of 7
(4,162 Views)

First of all your solution works so thanks allot! but that means i need to reconfigure firewall rules for shared variables.. i would very much appreciate if you'd send me the "white papers" you've mentioned. My email is jgershuni@gmail.com

thanks in advance,

John

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,130 Views)

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/12402/en/ has an error so be careful.
Shared variables require port 2343 to be opened for UDP and TCP as can be found
here:
http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/psp_firewall/
I reported this to NI months ago, but they have not updated their document.

Message 4 of 7
(4,114 Views)

Hey Michael78, I've submitted an edit for the white paper. Thanks for pointing this out

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,098 Views)

Hi,

I am having a similar problem seeing the network shared variables in two computers.

I am remotely controlling one computer and I am trying to use network shared variables in both directions. In both computers I created a network shared variable to bind in the other computer. 

I have disable the firewall in both computers and I am able to see the network shared variables in the computer being remotely controlled but the one controlling cannot see the shared variable sent by the controlled computer. 

Could you help me please?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,074 Views)

mgranadb wrote: In both computers I created a network shared variable to bind in the other computer.

This sounds like you have a circular definition.  If you insist on using Network Published Shared Variables (NPSV), then you should keep one computer as the master of the variables and make sure they are deployed before the other computer's application starts running.

I keep coming to that NPSVs are a major pain and should be replaced with simple TCP/IP commands (STM library helps a lot here) or Network Streams.  These are more performant, have less places for errors you cannot correct, and do not depend on a server being active before the client.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,069 Views)