cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Suggestions on a Labview Design Project

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, 

I am designing a labview interface to communicate with a complicated chamber system which involves pressure, temperature controllers, valves, DAQs, and units under testing. Eventually, this chamber system will be installed on the manufacturing floor where there should be minimal inputs required for operators to run. A PC desktop will be purchased for operation purpose but it does not make sense to me to leave a $7000 software on a PC that is on the manufacturing floor where there is minimal usage. I plan to buy the Labview Suits version. I also have an additional work laptop under budget as well. 

I plan to buy one license, design the LV interface on the desktop, and transfer the license to the work laptop after completion. Only LV excutables will be installed on the desktop for manufacturing operation. 

Please let me know if this plan would work for one license purchase and LV excutables idea make sense. If you have better suggestions please share with me.

Many Thanks

ffl3883

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,040 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ffl3883

It looks ok to me, I often develope on a single work laptop, and deploy installer or use EXE on the target computer. Just be aware of the possible screen resolution differences, so plan your front panel sizes carefully and test it on the target screen during dev.

You mentioned you are going to buy Dev. Suit version. What are the additional Add-Ons you will need to use? I just ask, since the Pro version is much cheaper...

Message 2 of 15
(3,032 Views)

A former engineer already bought the suit version many years ago. I dont think I have many options but to continuing buying the upgrade for this version. I agree with you that the Pro version would serve this purpose as well. I am new to creating excutables. What are typical problems that you encounter when using executables on a target machine ? Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks

ffl3883

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,024 Views)

Yes, I think if you have an expired suit licence, maybe it is better to renew it (i am not sure about this, but you can contact an NI representative, and they can explain all your options and the related prices).

Usually I do not have any problem using an executable on a target machine. If you just want to go with a simple exe file, you will need the free LabVIEW Runtime engine, and possibly some other drivers installed on the target computer (for example if you use serial comm, you will need the VISA driver).

If you build an installer out of the EXE application, LV will give you the options by default to include all the necessery additional components in the installer (DAQmx, VISA, GPIB, etc...). There can be other things you have to be aware of, like if you use dynamically linked VIs, you need to include these at the builder dialog window.

Usually I deploy LV application in two ways:

1. I install the first version of the application with all the drivers (can be quite large folder). From the second version update on, I exclude the additional installers (DAQmx, etc.) and I only build the application, so it will be very small in size.
  2. I install LV runtime engine, and all other things on the target computer, and I only use the built EXE (so I just overwrite it when I get a new version)

Message 4 of 15
(3,012 Views)

Thank you for your suggestions. I see that dynamically loading VI can be very practical in saving resources. Any drawbacks/concerns do you see in using it in system involving multiple communications ? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,006 Views)
Nothing i am aware of, it depends on the actual situation. Other thing you need to keep in mind is to use proper HW port handling (port nums can be different between PCs), and use configuration file to save parameter changes, in case of app restart.
Message 6 of 15
(2,988 Views)

Good point . Is it  a good idea to install NI MAX as well so I can verify HW connections ? 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(2,985 Views)
I think it can help, but i never used it on target pc. Lets wait for someone more experienced, they may give more proper info about this...
Message 8 of 15
(2,977 Views)
Once i had to deal with many HW components, i used an identification methode: i programmatically checked their unique serial IDs, and I reserved the references based on this list.
Message 9 of 15
(2,975 Views)

Any resources on NI that I could do some research and learning on this topic ? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(2,968 Views)