LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help in Labview v7.1 using Serial Port Communication

Hi guys, i'm doing a project using PIC 18f4520. I'm using this PIC 18 to program and monitor temperature, air pressure , voltage , current and fan control speed. After doing so, i need to use labview v7.1 to display all the readings onto PC. I need the drawing in schematic form ( in labview file ) or samples and is using serial port.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,672 Views)
Btw guys .... how can i start designing my labview using serial port ? i'm totally new to labview 7.1 and i need to learn urgently for my project. Please assist me . Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,671 Views)

Before you do anything related to LabVIEW you should check out to make sure you can read from the device over the serial port. This means using some other serial communication program. On Windows HyperTerminal is your best bet. This is to make sure you've got the right cable and you can at least know that you're getting data into the computer.

There are many examples that ship with LabVIEW. Some even on using the serial port. Open the Example Finder and search for "serial". There's a Basic Serial Write and Read. Start there.

To learn more about LabVIEW it is recommended that you go through the tutorial(s) and look over the material in the NI Developer Zone's Learning Center which provides links to other materials and other tutorials. You can also take the online courses for free.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,666 Views)
i did open the basic serial write and read example but i don't get it as in i don't know what to type in the string to write box to display what i want. Can assist me in this ?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,656 Views)

You are asking the forum about how you programmed the pic? If your micro code requires some command before it transmits data, then you are the only one that knows what the command is. If your micro code does not require a command before transmitting, then you are the only one who knows that and trying to do a write is not at all required. You would just do a read.

Have you done the recomended test with Hyperterminal? It's silly to try to write anything in LabVIEW until you get that to work.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,633 Views)