LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Naming the Channels TDMS using the express VI

I am using the Write Measurement File Express VI, changing the file type to TDMS for saving.  When I save, my columbs come up with Untitled 0, Untitled 1, and so on.  I went to the Advance tab, clicked insert, and entered in the information what I thought was correct, but apparently it is giving me an error.  I searched for configuring the advance function on this, tried another way and still, no results.

What I want to do is rename these titles of Untitled 0, Untitled 1, etc... to something else.  I was wondering if this is something that can't be done using the Express VI and I would have to use the TDMS VI's only to accomplish?

Thanks,
Travis
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,173 Views)
Travis,

if you are using waveforms that come out of DAQmx functions or out of an Express VI, they will have names attached to them ("NI_ChannelName" waveform attribute) that the Express VI will use to name the channels. If you want to keep using the Express VI, and your input data doesn't have that attribute set, I would recommend using the "Set Waveform Attribute" function in order to set the name that way. The "Advanced" stuff will not really help you much, since it does not allow for channel specific property values.

The TDM Streaming API of course gives you much more flexibility in terms of naming your groups and channels.

Renaming groups and channels is not possible in LabVIEW right now, but it will be in an upcoming release.

Hope that helps,
Herbert
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,164 Views)
The values that we are saving are from calculated results.  We have the signals named already coming from the DAQmx, but from running it into the calculations, it loses that name plus we have added values as well.

Thanks,
Travis
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,157 Views)
Hey Travis,
    Have you looked at the TDMS examples that come with LabVIEW?  The "Write TDMS File.vi" example writes a signal to a TDMS file and gives it a specific name.  Is this not the functionality you are seeking?

Brian B
Account Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,147 Views)
Yes, that is the function I am looking for and I have that in one part of the program already and it works great.  The problem with the TDMS VI's is that it doesn't increment the file if the file already exsist.  I plan on running this program hours upon hours, non-stop, and the only thing I found that will use the next available file name is the Measurement Write Express VI's.  If there is a VI that I am missing that will use next available file name with this TDMS VI's, please share the wealth.  I do have the other TDMS file incrementing by it self, but it resets to 0 and overwrites the file again once I shut the program down so I have to go in, move the files, etc...

Thanks,
Travis
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,136 Views)
Hey Travis,
   There's a VI called "Check if File or Folder Exists" in the advanced File I/O palette.  Perhaps you could implement this VI so that you do not have to go in and move files around to avoid them being overwritten.  This functionality is what is being implemented behind the scenes of the express VI anyway.

Brian B
Account Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,118 Views)