LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NXG 2.0 Installation: Odd error message & What is NI Monarch Conversion Support?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I decided to install NXG 2.0 on a Win 10 x64 machine. I got the following error message:

Odd Diagnosis.png

I clicked "Try Again" and it worked, so all is good.

However, I'd like to bring attention to the odd logic in the message: How does "File is being used by another process" lead to "Please check your Internet connection"?

Anyway, the next screen had this:

Monarch.png

I'm unable to find any mention of "NI Monarch Conversion Support" on ni.com. What is it?

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(3,545 Views)

I believe that's what helps convert code from LabVIEW to LabVIEW NXG.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(3,508 Views)

Hey JKSH, 

The Monarch Conversion Support is for the conversion utility to convert LabVIEW to LabVIEW NXG. It supports LabVIEW 2009 and later. Take a look at Converting LabVIEW Code for Use with LabVIEW NXG for further instructions on using this utility. 

Best, 

Danielle

Applications Engineer | NI

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(3,482 Views)

Hi Danielle,

wrote:

The Monarch Conversion Support is for the conversion utility to convert LabVIEW to LabVIEW NXG. It supports LabVIEW 2009 and later. Take a look at Converting LabVIEW Code for Use with LabVIEW NXG for further instructions on using this utility. 

It is...?

I installed NXG 2.0, but didn't install any of the "NI Monarch Conversion Support for LabVIEW" packages. I still have the "Code Conversion Utility for LabVIEW NXG 2.0", and I was able to convert a LabVIEW 2017 project.

What extra functionality will I gain if I install "NI Monarch Conversion Support for LabVIEW" now?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(3,463 Views)

Hmm that is interesting.. From my research it doesn't look like it adds much functionality for a user, but I am skeptical. I will try looking into it a bit further to see what I can find. 

Are you able to convert other versions of LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(3,445 Views)

wrote:

Hmm that is interesting.. From my research it doesn't look like it adds much functionality for a user, but I am skeptical. I will try looking into it a bit further to see what I can find. 

Are you able to convert other versions of LabVIEW?

Thanks for investigating.

Interesting; a simple project (1 .lvproj that only contains 1 VI and nothing else) from LabVIEW 2013 SP1 can't be converted. The code conversion tool doesn't say what the error is:

2013nxgfail.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(3,427 Views)

Hi,

Can you provide more details about the contents of the VI you're trying to convert? There are some features in LabVIEW that have not been implemented in LabVIEW NXG yet. I'm wondering if perhaps that could be the cause of the issue here. 

James F.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(3,410 Views)

wrote:

Can you provide more details about the contents of the VI you're trying to convert? There are some features in LabVIEW that have not been implemented in LabVIEW NXG yet. I'm wondering if perhaps that could be the cause of the issue here. 

Hi James,

Thanks for responding.

I doubt it's caused by an unsupported LabVIEW feature, because:

• I was just converting 1 simple .lvproj file that contains 1 blank VI.
  • If there's an unsupported feature, the Code Conversion Utility usually points out precisely what isn't supported.

To recap, this is my system:

• I installed LabVIEW 2013 SP1, LabVIEW 2014 SP1, and LabVIEW 2017 before NXG 2.0 was released.
  • I never installed any tech previews or betas on this machine.
  • I installed NXG 2.0 without installing any of the NI Monarch Conversion Support packages.
  • Using the Code Conversion Utility for LabVIEW NXG 2.0, I was able to convert a moderately complex project from LV 2017 (which contains a few dummy .lvclass files), but I wasn't able to convert a minimal project from LV 2013 SP1 (see screenshot in my previous post)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(3,403 Views)

So as it turns out, 2013 SP1 erroring out is no surprise. Converting to NXG is only supported from the current year of LabVIEW and the previous three years (2017, 2016, 2015, 2014). LabVIEW 2013 SP1 has not been tested to convert correctly. If you need to convert an older version to LabVIEW NXG, you will need to convert the 2013 project to 2014 (or another supported year). 

It seems like even though you intentionally checked to not install the Monarch Conversion Utility, it was somehow installed anyways. Can you look in NI Package Manager to see if it shows up there?

Best, 

Danielle

Applications Engineer 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(3,377 Views)

@dmysliwiec13 wrote:

So as it turns out, 2013 SP1 erroring out is no surprise. Converting to NXG is only supported from the current year of LabVIEW and the previous three years (2017, 2016, 2015, 2014). LabVIEW 2013 SP1 has not been tested to convert correctly. If you need to convert an older version to LabVIEW NXG, you will need to convert the 2013 project to 2014 (or another supported year).

Ah, so that's it. You're right -- re-saving the project in LabVIEW 2014 worked.

I also just discovered: In order to see the detailed error message, I need my mouse cursor to hover and wait over the problem file. Clicking on the filename actually prevents the error message from appearing, unless I move my cursor away and hover again.

NXG Too Old.png

@dmysliwiec13 wrote:

It seems like even though you intentionally checked to not install the Monarch Conversion Utility, it was somehow installed anyways. Can you look in NI Package Manager to see if it shows up there?

According to NIPM, NI Monarch Conversion Support is definitely not installed.

Here are all the packages that are available for installation (i.e. they haven't been installed:

NIPM Available Packages.png

Just to be sure, here is the list of everything that is installed:

NIPM Installed 1.pngNIPM Installed 2.png

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(3,353 Views)