LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIPM Post Install actions with variables

I want to create a package to install my LabVIEW 2017 application using NIPM. I'm using the "Package" build spec type from my LabVIEW project

The application's exe will be placed in [Program Files]\My Application

During the install process I need to run some post install actions. These post install actions need the path to the install directory though.

Using Windows Installers, you could use variables like [InstallDir] in your post-install arguments. Is there anything like this available to NIPM Package post install actions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,943 Views)

Under the Advanced section of the Package Properties is where you can define and schedule customer actions such as a post install.  You need to have the script or executable that will run this post install process added to you LabVIEW project to be able to add it under the custom actions section.  After which you can schedule at which point the action runs.

As an alternative you can also achieve this with the VI Package Manager instead. The following links provide information on how to add custom installation options in the VI Package Manager.  There is also a lot information regarding VIPM custom actions versus NIPM custom actions.

1. VI Package Manager: Custom Installation Options
  2. Take Your VI Package to the Next Level with Custom Actions

CC
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,863 Views)

I'm trying to use NIPM to deploy an application, not source code, therefore VIPM is inappropriate.

I know how to create a post-install action. That isn't the problem. The problem is sending that post install action additional information about the install. For example, I have written an application to be run as a post install command that takes in a command line argument. I need that argument to be the install location of the package. How can I accomplish this?

If this was an installer I'd specify the application path, then in the arguments line i'd type 

[InstallDir]

Now, when my installer was run, the application  would be run with the argument something like "C:\program files\abc\123" or where ever the user specified to install the application.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,857 Views)

So what happens when you try to use the same command as an argument within the package builder?  Does it not return the chosen installation path of the package just like it would do with an installer?  I would assume it would work whether is was an installer or a package.  Perhaps there is further modification to the [INSTALLDIR] command as mentioned in the Advanced Page (Installer Properties Dialog Box) help document.  

CC
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,829 Views)

You mention an installer option for the post install application to run. In case of a NIPM package NIPM is the installer and would therefor need to supply the installation path. Is it possible to specify the placeholder at package build time so NIPM suuplies it? If so, you would expect it described with the package build help.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,801 Views)

Hi Derek,

Can you upload your code of the bat file ?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,774 Views)