LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI export to spreadsheet

Hi, 

I am trying to export a waveform from a Tektronix TDS7054 Oscilloscope to a spreadsheet using LabVIEW. I used the "export to spreadsheet" block from LabVIEW but the time axis ( x axis) is simply an array of time stamps. I tried manipulating inside the "export to spreadsheet" block too but couldnt get a proper " time" readings on the x axis array. What I need is simply the "time" readings that I see on the osciloscope, which i suppose one would call relative time. 

Also, from the read data I need to select specific time interval, so bypassing the earlier step, I also tried to first "write to file" the waveform data and then "read to file"  and then again " export to spreadsheet" . I did this since in the intermediate "read to file" step, there is an option to "offset" the data which i thought could be useful to select only a certain time duration out of the entire waveform data and then export only that interval to spreadsheet. However, the "offset" function also doesnt seem to be doing this. Probably it is meant for something different which i am not clear. 

Can someone please help with both the above functionalitites? Any help would be highly appreciated. 

Again, the 2 features that I am looking for are:

1. Export the waveform data to spreadsheet

2. Select a specific interval from the exported spreadsheet and export to another spreadsheet ( or array)

Thanks in advance !

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,537 Views)

Hi M_Khatib

In order to get the time stamp that you want you could do something similar to this knowledgebase article.

How Can I Write a Timestamp with my Data to a Spreadsheet using LabVIEW?

For the writing and exporting a waveform to a spreadsheet I recommend you this well documented knowledgebase articles.

Writing Arrays of Strings to a Spreadsheet File

Exporting Waveforms to Spreadsheet File

And last but not the least, you can read the file you wrote as you commented and then import the rows that you want into LabVIEW or modify the array that you have just imported

How Can I Import Spreadsheet Files Into LabVIEW Using The .csv Format?

I hope that this information might be useful

Regards

Esteban R.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,492 Views)

Hi, 

thank you for your help. 

I am sorry if i was not clear in my previous post. I am not looking for getting a "timestamp"
 but i am actually looking for getting rid of it. What i mean is, I need only the "time"
 readings that I see in the oscilloscope and not the "timestamp" in hh:mm:ss format which is the current time shown by my computer . ( thats what i see right now). 

Also, I tried to modify the "export to spreadsheet" VI and when I wanted to cancel the changes that i did, it didnt gave me an option of "dont save" and hence it doesnt look same any more. In fact, it looks totally different now when i try to use the "export to spreadsheet" option. At a point of time, I thought i had got it working but now even if i open a new project and try to open the block called " export to spreadsheet", it looks entirely different. I have attached a screenshot of how it looks now. whenever i try to use it, it opens a pop up dialog , tries to search for some file and then i have to click on "ignore all" to get the VI on the block diagram page. Please help. 

Also, again to reiterate what i am looking for, I simply need the time readigs that i see on the oscilloscope. And i am hoping to do this with a VI and not manually from the File > export to spreadsheet option from the menu.

Also, after this file is exported, I need to create another spreadsheet file with a certain no of rows from this file. I tried from the links that you shared but wasnt clear how this can be implemented. 

Thanks for all your help. Really appreciate it. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,384 Views)

@M_Khatib wrote:

Hi, 

thank you for your help. 

I am sorry if i was not clear in my previous post. I am not looking for getting a "timestamp"
 but i am actually looking for getting rid of it. What i mean is, I need only the "time"
 readings that I see in the oscilloscope and not the "timestamp" in hh:mm:ss format which is the current time shown by my computer . ( thats what i see right now). 

Also, I tried to modify the "export to spreadsheet" VI and when I wanted to cancel the changes that i did, it didnt gave me an option of "dont save" and hence it doesnt look same any more. In fact, it looks totally different now when i try to use the "export to spreadsheet" option. At a point of time, I thought i had got it working but now even if i open a new project and try to open the block called " export to spreadsheet", it looks entirely different. I have attached a screenshot of how it looks now. whenever i try to use it, it opens a pop up dialog , tries to search for some file and then i have to click on "ignore all" to get the VI on the block diagram page. Please help. 

Also, again to reiterate what i am looking for, I simply need the time readigs that i see on the oscilloscope. And i am hoping to do this with a VI and not manually from the File > export to spreadsheet option from the menu.

Also, after this file is exported, I need to create another spreadsheet file with a certain no of rows from this file. I tried from the links that you shared but wasnt clear how this can be implemented. 

Thanks for all your help. Really appreciate it. 

I'd say you might want to find a pristine copy of that VI you just modified.  Then don't muck around inside after that.  Once you have a supported version of that VI back on your computer, we can probably begin to help you...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,370 Views)

ugh, double post

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,368 Views)

Hi M_Khatib

If you still need help, could you add a snippet  of the code or the VI in order to see it or modify it.

Regards

Esteban R.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,332 Views)