LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Variable Engine closes on boot up.

Solved!
Go to solution

I am new to LabVIEW and installed the 8.6 Evaluation DVD on my XP computer.  Now, whenever I boot up, I get the message.  "NI Variable Engine has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.... Please tell Microsoft about this problem..."

Please tell me how to fix this.   (If I need to execute a System Exec.vi call to stop/start the variable engine, please be explicit in telling me how to do it.)

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,577 Views)

Hi Don,

Thanks for the post, I noticed you haven't had any support. 

I have seen this error before. Unfortunately there is not one simple solution.

It has been resolved for some customer due to a conflict with measurement studi. Please see this forum link

Also it seems that this is most likely due to a corrupt installation. Windows typically gives this type of error for corrupt installs, and the fact that both machines that installed from the same disk experience the error compounds my belief. The error happens at start up because LabVIEW automatically launches the Shared Variable Engine (SVE) at start up. We have two options to stop this from happening:

(1) Re-install the shared variable engine by installing the NI DAQ driver again
(2) Turn off the feature that automatically starts the SVE at start up

Method (1) takes care of the problem with your SVE, and will make it usable in the future, but will take a long time to do. Uninstalling the current version of NI DAQ that you have, and then installing it again, or installing a newer version can take a very long time. If you feel like doing this, here is a link to the newest version compatible with LabVIEW 8.5:

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/965/lang/en

Method (2) does not fix the fact that the SVE does not work properly, but if you are not going to use it then this is no concern. Also, it is much quicker and easier to do. Here is a link to how to do it:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2DD852E2B9CDF7578625707E006641A5?OpenDocument

Let me know what you think,

Kind Regards,

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
Message 2 of 4
(3,555 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Don_pg
Thanks to Hillman for helping me.  Method 2 (prevents SVE from starting at start up) fixes my problem until I can reinstall the NIDAQ drivers.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,537 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know your issue is 'resolved'. 

Kind Regards,

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,532 Views)