LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI System Components

Hi,

I am using Labview 2013 f2 on Windows 7 Professional. When I try to build my installer, I received the message to ask me to install NI System Components from my directory C:\CDR3. Please see the attached screen shot. I tried to put 4 disks of 2013 DS2 DVD in. It did not work. Any help will be appreciated.

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(9,164 Views)

If this application was built in an earlier version of LabVIEW, it could be looking for that old runtime installer. You might try copying everything over to a new project and rebuilding, or directing it to the older runtime if you still have it.

Jason H
Automated Test Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(9,109 Views)

I'm having a similar error.  The project I'm working on was devloped in LabVIEW 2013, but I'm using LabVIEW 2014.  I can't create a new installer because of some NI System Components missing media error.  It looks like people have been having this problem for years, but why hasn't NI fixed it?  I would expect more support for upgrades.  I didn't create this program, I just fixed a bug, now I want to update the installer but can't figure out the next step except this posts suggests I create a new project.  That's not a solution, that's a work around.  Now do I really fix the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(8,853 Views)

@Fewoiz wrote:

I'm having a similar error.  The project I'm working on was devloped in LabVIEW 2013, but I'm using LabVIEW 2014.  I can't create a new installer because of some NI System Components missing media error.  It looks like people have been having this problem for years, but why hasn't NI fixed it?  I would expect more support for upgrades.  I didn't create this program, I just fixed a bug, now I want to update the installer but can't figure out the next step except this posts suggests I create a new project.  That's not a solution, that's a work around.  Now do I really fix the problem?

Settle down buddy this isn't an NI problem.  When building an install you have the option for including additional installers.  To include those additional installers, the original installers need to be available, so that it can be bundled with the new one you are making.  NI keeps a cache of installers on your hard drive, but if you are asking for an installer that it hasn't cached it will ask you to give it this one time.  Then it caches it and uses it without asking again.

So it sounds like you need to provide the source to that installer at least once.  So find it or download it, or something, then build the installer and you should be good.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(8,842 Views)

Thank you for the reply.  I don't want to always have to revert back to a previous version of LabVIEW.  How do I get the project to only use the 2014  installer?

From the NI side, I would expect that if I open a LabVIEW 2013 project in 2014 it should work.  I don't understand why I can run in the development environment but can't make the installer.  I know I'm new to this but are my expectations really so unreasonable?  Do I really need to create a brand new project in 2014 and then copy everything over?

I have tried getting a previous version of LabVIEW from my Rep, but so far they haven't been able to provide the link, it's only been about 4 weeks though. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(8,838 Views)

@Fewoiz wrote:

Thank you for the reply.  I don't want to always have to revert back to a previous version of LabVIEW.  How do I get the project to only use the 2014  installer?

From the NI side, I would expect that if I open a LabVIEW 2013 project in 2014 it should work.  I don't understand why I can run in the development environment but can't make the installer.  I know I'm new to this but are my expectations really so unreasonable?  Do I really need to create a brand new project in 2014 and then copy everything over?

I have tried getting a previous version of LabVIEW from my Rep, but so far they haven't been able to provide the link, it's only been about 4 weeks though. 

I'm still not certain I know the problem but here is one way you could end up in your situation.

Lets imagine for a second we aren't talking about NI System Components, but instead something like DAQmx.  You can have DAQmx installed and it supports multiple LabVIEW versions, so you may have version 12.0 of DAQmx, but using those DAQmx VIs in LabVIEW 2012, or LabVIEW 2013.  When you are in LabVIEW 2013 and you choose to build an installer, you include DAQmx version 12.0.  Your system doesn't know version 13.0 exists.  Do regardless of what version of LabVIEW you are building an installer in, if you choose to include DAQmx, you will be including the one version of DAQmx that is installed.

So like I was saying, I'm not certain that this is your situation, but I suspect your system has the "NI System Components" version 2013 installed, and it is trying to include it with a 2014 built installer.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest downloading, or installing the latest NI System Components, which I assume would be on the device drivers DVD.  I'd hope that after doing this your additional installers will show version 2014 to include.  As an experiment you could make a new installer and see what version is the option there.  I'm not suggesting move to a new blank project yet, I'm just curious to know if it also only shows version 2013 of the system components.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(8,833 Views)

Fewoiz,

If you can, it would be extremely helpful to post a screenshot of the exact error you are running into.  As Hooovahh mentioned LabVIEW will try to cache Installer Distribution Components (more about this in a link below).

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361J-01/lvhowto/cache_from_distribution/

The interesting thing about the original post is that the components that the application was looking for were system components of their own build installer (notice the name of the installer they are building and what system components they are looking for).  If this is the case for you as well, I have found a few mentions of this happening when the computer you are developing on had installed a LabVIEW built installer before installing LabVIEW.

So first I would go ahead and generate a debug log of your installer and posting that as well.  There are some other steps I can think of doing but I would rather ask a few of my colleagues before suggesting them (I would rahter not tell you to delete things that should not be deleted) and that we know your error is of the same exact type as the one originally posted.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2E19F4E72C29CF5C862570D2004FC604?OpenDocument

Also, you mentioned that you were waiting on a disc for a previous version of LabVIEW.  How old of a version do you want?  You can download the most recent versions of LabVIEW online and activate it using your same serial number as long as you have SSP.  I think you can also get more downloads if you go to your myNI account and register your product (don't quote me on that last one).

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(8,816 Views)

Hi,

I have a question about NI additional installers and their location.

My DSRLs are stored on a network drive ( \\myserver\DSR\...) and when I install NI software, I install from that server.

So when I build an installer while connected to my network the application builder will automatically find all the additionnal installers I included in my installer build preferences - all is fine.

If I was to move my DSRL to a different place on my network, the application builder will ask me to locate my DSRL to be able to find all the additionnal installers.

So my questions are : where is that link to my DSRL stored (some INI file, registry, else...)? And can I edit it in order to relink the application builder to my DSRL after moving it?

Cheers

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(8,683 Views)

Hi TiTou

I belief that one option is that you download your LabVIEW installer in your computer and then run it because per default the folder where you can find the Additional Installer is on the folder where you have the installer or in other case in C:/ProgramData (Hidden folder).

You can see more information in these links:

LV 2013-> http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361K-01/lvdialog/addl_install_info_db/

LV 2014->http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361L-01/lvdialog/addl_install_info_db/

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(8,641 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,867 Views)