LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI High Speed Digitzer - First acquistion is always delayed by a few ms

The NI 5160 High Speed Digitizer has a warmup time of 15 mins according to the specification sheet. This I assume means that the chassis in which the digitizer resides should be ON and going for > 15 mins. Only after this period, it is recommended to use it.

Now, even after waiting out the warmup period, the first acquisition seems to be delayed (~3ms to 4ms) than the rest. My application depends on precise timing and if the first one is delayed then it is a problem. Is this an inherent nature of digitizers? Why does this happen, and how to handle this? Any advise on this is appreciated.

This happens only on the very first acquisition and the rest that follow are perfect.

NI System Configuration:
- NI PXIe-1071, 4-Slot 3U PXI Express Chassis , 1 GB/Slot throughput, Part Number: 781368-01
- NI PXIe-PCIe8381,x8 Gen2 MXI-Express for PXI Express Interface,3m, Part Number: 782522-01
- PXIe-5160 PXI Oscilloscope, 500 MHz, 10 bits, 2.5 GS/s, 2 Channels, 64 MB, Part Number: 782621-01
- Astronics PXIe-1209 2-Channel, 100 MHz PXI Pulse Generator, Part Number: 785033-01
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,765 Views)

asukumari, 

That is correct! The warm up time is that the chassis with the card inside should be running for 15 mins. Looking through the manual, it mentioned a software self-calibration after the warm up time. Do you get the same behavior after doing this?

How long have you had the card for? The recommended external calibration should be done every 2 years. 

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,692 Views)

We don't know how you setup the scope..

When I

• do all configuration (Clk10 or 100 backplane based)
  • send a commit
  • sync the cards
  • arm the trigger

and use hardware trigger  I have never seen such delay.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 3 of 3
(1,671 Views)