LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Ethernet/IP to perform a 2D array access into an AB PLC

Has anyone been able to program using NI Ethernet/IP to perform a 2D array access into an AB PLC?

When writing a string to the tag "PROGRAMS[0,0]", I get that the NI Ethernet/IP vis respond with incorrect "EthernetIP Tag Write STRING.vi; Details: The tag name is not correctly formatted"

I can write to the top of the array "PROGRAMS" and put in a string in the [0,0] position but can't access the other indexes.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,744 Views)

Hello JAS hope you are doing great.

Can you explain a little bit better you application, at which point exactly you are getting the error, what steps are you taking, How are you communicating with the Allen-Bradley PL<c.

Are you using OPC server with the DSC module or Data Socket?

Regards, 

Luis A.

Applicatione Engineer.

National Instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,583 Views)

Hello Luis,

Sorry I got real busy and the problem is now on the front burner.

I am connecting through the EtherNet/IP Module located in a Control Logix 5572-L52 or L45 Controller.

Using the LabVIEW EtherNet/IP Vis, I have been able to communicate to the controller.

I can access Single values, 1D & 2D of types DINTs, INTs and Reals. Single values and 1D of boolean types.

When trying to read or write to a 2D array such as "Test_Int[0,1]" of an array I defined as a DINT Test_Int[5,5],

The error response is " The tag name is not corrected formatted."

I am able to access the the variable by accessing the main tag name "Test_Int" with the number of elements.

When trying to access 1D array of Strings, I can index into the string array with "String[1]".

The trouble is when I try to access a 2D array of Strings, The indexing of String[1,1] will not work with the EtherNet/IP.

I get an error of "The tag name is not corrected formatted."

If I just access the main tag name of the 2D string array, I get the first element of the duel array.

Using Data Sockets, the URL of "opc://localhost/RSLinx OPC Server/[ipg_cnc]Test_Strings[1,1]" for example reads the string.

The drawback of using Data Sockets is that it is polling and can take a long time but it is working for me.

In trying to use the OPC server (RSLinx Classic), It looks like I can't access 1D or 2D arrays by selecting them.

I have been able to access the 2D string by modifying the access url.

Drawback is that the URL cannot be programmically changed.

We bought the VIs and the OPC server is not free, we would have to buy a server for each machine we install the interface on.

The EtherNet/IP connectivity still is the issue, any suggestions?

John

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,552 Views)

Hello Luis,

I made a mistake on my last post,

I have been able to access a 2D array os strings through the OPC server but Still cannot through the Ethernet/IP vis.

Has there been any others that have this problem and how were they able to solve this problem with out using a OPC server?

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,535 Views)

Hi,

Would you please refer to the PPT to try again?

Let me know your result.

Thanks.

-Chris

Message 5 of 6
(3,508 Views)

Esta sintaxis ya la probaste ? aun no me funciona 

Podrían apoyarme con la forma de pedir este tag 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,369 Views)