LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9862 CAN Missing in MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to setup a cRIO 9014 controller with the NI 9862 CAN module, but I don't see it in MAX after I plug it in and reboot the 9014.  I'm running Labview 2013, and Ithink I have installed all of the pertinent software on the host machine and on the 9014. See the attached screen capture and you can see that the 9862 is not shown.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Todd Moore

University of Illinois

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(4,906 Views)

I noticed you don't have DAQmx installed.  Did you read all the warnings when installing the Device Drivers or did you blindly just click next and accept like we all do?

I'm not 100% certain but I think there is a prompt when installing XNET that says something like DAQmx and RIO is needed for some reason or another with some C series modules.  I maybe getting things confused but I know that there was some warning about a C series CAN module but I can't remember the exact warning.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(4,901 Views)

Thanks Hooovahh for the quick response.  I'm not sure if I saw that warning or not!!!  I did install DAQmx onto the host computer, but I didn't install it onto the cRIO.  Are you saying you think I need to install it onto the cRIO as well?

Thanks again for responding to my question.

Todd Moore

University of Illinois

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(4,897 Views)

@tcmoore wrote:

Thanks Hooovahh for the quick response.  I'm not sure if I saw that warning or not!!!  I did install DAQmx onto the host computer, but I didn't install it onto the cRIO.  Are you saying you think I need to install it onto the cRIO as well?

I'm saying I can't remember what exactly it needed but I know there was some kind of extra warning with these CAN devices.  Sorry I can't be for sure what is needed.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(4,890 Views)

Good day,

Just to clarify…C-Series modules are compatible with both CompactDAQ and CompactRIO platforms using DAQmx and NI-RIO + NI-XNET respectively, so the DAQmx driver is not required in your case.

About the minimum requirements to use the module you need:

1. CompactRIO in Scan Interface, use in NI cRIO-911x/908x/906x chassis (not controllers).

2. Minimum software versions required: LabVIEW and LabVIEW Real Time & LabVIEW FPGA 2010 SP1 + NI-RIO 4.0 + NI-XNET 1.6

Please check that you meet this requirements, otherwise the behavior is expected.

Related links:

Software Support for CompactRIO, CompactDAQ, Single-Board RIO, R Series, FlexRIO, and EtherCAT

NI 9862

Regards,

Alejandro C. | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(4,839 Views)

Thanks Alejandro for the response.  I'm re-installing the latest Labview RT Software and I'll re-install the latest NI-XNET Software as well.  About the Scan Interface, I'm not sure what you mean when you talk about the chassis instead of the controller.  Can you clarify a bit more?

Thanks,

Todd Moore

University of Illinois

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(4,818 Views)

Hi Todd,

Sure, this article can clarify the Scan mode topic (Using NI CompactRIO Scan Mode with NI) and the picture attach clarifies the difference between a controller and the chassis.

You are using a cRIO-9014 (controller) but if you are not using one of the supported chassis (as I previously mentioned) the module is never going to work.

I hope this helps

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(4,815 Views)

Thanks, Alejandro  for your response 🙂

I've installed the software again.   I have a cRIO-9102 chassis with a cRIO-9014 controller.   I have read the information you sent me. Thanks.  It looks like my hardware should work correctly with the NI-9862, but I still don't see it in MAX.  I actually have 2 chassis, with the same part number I can't see the module in either one in MAX.  I've attached another screenshot showing the software I have installed onto the controller.  Maybe the hardware is broken?

Thanks,

Todd

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(4,804 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tcmoore

Unfortunately no. As mentioned earlier, the 9862 will only work on cRIO-911x/908x/906x chassis ...9102 is not listed.

The 9862 requires a chassis with one of the following FPGAs: Virtex-5 / Spartan 6 / Artix-7. The 9102 has a Virtex-II FPGA, which is way below the minimum. This is the reason why you are not able to work with the module.

I recommend getting a cRIO-9118 as a replacement. This chassis supports the 9862 and it also has 8 slots.

I hope this clarifies the problem.

Message 9 of 22
(4,796 Views)

Thanks so much for clafiying this issue for me.  I missed the statement from you explaining which chassis was supported. Sorry about that!!  There is so much information to digest!!  I also did read, Software Support for CompactRIO, CompactDAQ, Single-Board RIO, R Series, FlexRIO, and EtherCAT, but was confused because the 'CompactRIO (FPGA Interface)' shows it is compatible, but not in the 'CompactRIO (Scan Interface)' section.

Looks like I'll need to purchase a new chassis to go with my controller 😞  I'll take a look at the cRIO-9118 as you suggested.  Do I need to purchase a new controller, or can I just use the original NI9014?

Thanks,

Todd

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(4,784 Views)