From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple instance of a LabView executable

Is there any way to call multiple instances of a standalone executable built with LabView ?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,556 Views)
Depends on how you want to call it, but there is.

I have done this with a DLL. I think if you want to do it as an executable, that you have to rename each instance.

I recommend doing some experimentation. There are a number of ways to do it. If you can't get anything working by directly calling multiple instances, try contacting NI support at ni.com/ask. They can be of assistance, as of course, will this board.

However; if you still have trouble, I suggest the following alternative: Make a "loader" which can call multiple instances.

Just out of curiosity, and because it would be helpful in trying to solve your problem, what is the exact nature of the situation which causes you to want to call multiple instances of the same executable? There m
ay be an alternative to this method altogether.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,556 Views)
Thanks for your prompt response.

The reason for this multiple instances call:
We want to perform parallel testing. But our home made test platform will always call the same executable (with the SAME NAME) for each unit to test.
A dll will do the job. But with LabView 5.1, we are not able to create dll.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,556 Views)
You can create copies of the executable and run the copies. A little detail for ini files: if you create a copy of app.exe, say app1.exe it will create an ini file named app1.ini but the section header will stay the original application name [app].

Another way on Windows is to map the application directory to a drive letter using the SUBST line command and start a new instance from there. Both running apps will share the same ini file unless you specify otherwise (-pref switch on the command line).

LabVIEW, C'est LabVIEW

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,556 Views)