LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple While Loops. Multithreading

@lolobosco wrote:

The problem is that my subVI is an infinite while loop and when a make an asynchronous call to it, I can´t collect its results.

Have a look at my example posted above. You need "call and forget" and get the data in other ways.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 23
(2,061 Views)

Hi altenbach,

I appreciate your help so much.  What I seek is to run a large number of subVIs and each is formed with an infinite loop. Where should I include each subVI in your example?

On my very first example, the while loops simulates the differents SubVIs.

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 23
(2,041 Views)

In your original example, each loop did the same thing and I thought they would only differ in loop rate.

Are some of your subVIs reentrant or is only a single copy in memory at all times.

If you have many different subVIs, you could just place them all on the toplevel diagram. You could create an appropriate DVR that contains a cluster with data from all processes and each process just operates on the appropriate subset. Now add a while loop that reads out the DVR occasionally to display the information. It can even be bidirectional, where the main VI updates certain settings contained in the DVR and the subVIs read them at each iteration.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 23
(2,021 Views)

No. the different while loops (subVIs) are not reentrant. Some of them take some data from diferent  HW devices and the others while loops (subVIs) process  that data and show it on a SCADA at real time. In these moments I have all the code (the different while loops that I wanted to turn into VI) in a single frame but it is a real mess (it runs fine but it´s a real monster code)

So, I need to add that subVIs on the toplevel diagram (you mean in the mainVI, don´t you?.. the one that you called MODCA) and then create a cluster with data from the differents subVIs (while loops) on the new DVR (that you called ProcessSubVI)... that data needs to be shared by the different VIs... is it what you mean by bidirectional, isn´t it? 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 23
(2,006 Views)

There are many, many ways to do this. Here's something that builds on my previous suggestion. Here we have process B and C doing different things at different rates.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 23
(1,984 Views)

Now I'm more confused.  Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I'm "out of town" with a slow WiFi connection and other things going on.  My particular example was actually a pair of sub-VIs being called reentrantly -- 24 of the loops controlled 24 sets of VISA hardware that produced data we used to time/trigger the saving of video images, while the other 24 loops controlled 24 video camera that saved 5 second videos associated with the corresponding VISA event recorded in the first set of loops.

I'll try to explain, in broad strokes, how this works.  I'm showing selected images, not Snippets, as there are too many sub-VIs (and the code is pretty involved), but will try to explain how this works.  Keep in mind that this was developed about 4 years ago, works quite well, but hasn't been "updated" (I think the code base is still LabVIEW 2012, up from 2010).

Start Capture Events.png This is part of the Main routine where we start all of the 24 Clone pairs, a clone for each Camera and its associated Balance.  We configure three 24-element Arrays that handle communication and specification between Clone pairs (example shortly), the red Array of Cluster wires shown on the Shift Registers and running through the middle of the diagram.

The Front Panel of Clone Camera, referenced by the strictlhy-type (red star) Static VI Reference in the center of the image above, is shown below.  Session Info contains, among other things, the root path to a folder for saving Video and Balance results (unique File Names are created on-the-fly from the unique Station ID, 1 .. 24, and time of event).  The Clones are configured as Queued Message Handlers, with the Message for the Camera Clone (which the Balance Clone needs to call) being the second input parameter.  The final parameter, the Station Info, contains the hardware pointers to the selected Camera and Balance.

CLONE Camera.png

We use an Action Engine to manage the Asynchronous Calls (in part to avoid having to run the Clone Reference wires all over the place when we do the final Wait and Collect operations (they are maintained inside this non-reentrant VI.  The Start Async Action is shown below.  You can see the various steps I use to go from a Strictly-Type Static VI Reference (brought in by Async Ref In) to get its Name (you can also get its Path, but Name might be safer) and Type, both needed by Open VI Ref, then use the Ref to drive Start Asynchronous Call, using Option 0x100 for Call and Collect, and saving the VI Reference for the Wait Async Action.  We don't actually return data when we close everything down, but we do wait for all of the Clones to stop to avoid exiting the Main routine and leaving a detached Clone still running (the Main can't exit until all of the Clones say they've stopped). 

Start Asyncs.png

When I got involved with this project, my colleague had a single VI that "did everything" and took about 5 large monitor screens across by about 4 vertical to contain everything.  There were wires running everywhere, and the logic was very difficult to follow.  As you can see, one of my contributions was to make (almost) all VI Block Diagram fit on a single screen, largely by creating a lot of sub-VIs that all did "one thing" (and, if that "one thing" could be broken down into several sub-things, that meant more sub-VIs).  I was also a "nut" about neat wiring.  It took a little extra time when initially coding each sub-VI, but we ended up with (a) something we could look at and quickly understand and explain, (b) something we could debug fairly easily, and (c) something that actually worked!  

Bob Schor

Message 16 of 23
(1,979 Views)

Hello Guys, 

I need an help here! I am using while loops, which the last while is used for state machine. I created one E (emergency) Stop button then made from this Estop button a 3 local variables. Which when I stop the button the measurement should stop directly or when the measurement is finished (the timer and DAQ and everything) just assig to one of the Estop Boolean False command, the measurement should be stopped. However, when I click Estop or when the measurement is finished my program get stuck in in the red circles where I noted. I can observe that with PROBE WATCH WINDOW that the program after shift registers doesn't move on to the last part. It tells me that after shift registers it is not executed. 

Thanks in advance and looking forward for your recommendations.

HR

oil test.png

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 23
(791 Views)

My guess is you're not telling LV to exit the loops.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 23
(787 Views)

As you can see, in the following snip, this is the last while loop which is used as a state machine. When the measurement is finished, it goes to the last state and I tell here to give the True (Boolean) to ESTOP so that it stops. I dont know if you mean by that telling LV to exit the loops.   

Capture98.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 23
(773 Views)

Pictures of parts of your code are not enough to determine the issue. One thing that I immediately see is a race condition, and you probably have more of those. Find a better way than local variables to stop your loops. It's difficult to recommend a solution without seeing your code. There is something else in your loops that is not exiting.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 23
(766 Views)