From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Modbus libraries causes issues when loading project.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I currently have two different Modbus libraries installed, as projects for different clients are based on these.

They are the "NI Modbus Library" from VIPM and "Modbus" installed with DSC.

Are there any reason to choose one or the other? Both have similar functionality, except that DSC Modbus works on Real Time system as well?

My issue is that for one project, that uses the "NI Modbus Library", it seems like some vis from "Modbus" are loaded, and this causes several problems.

If I move the "Modbus" folder out of "Labview 2016/vi.lib" the project loads all files correctly from the "NI Modbus Library" folder.

• Why is this happening?
  • What determines where LabVIEW loads dependencies from?
  • Should I add the correct Modbus Library to the project, to ensure that the correct is loaded?

Thank you for taking the time.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,271 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Oksavik

Hi,

It sounds like LabVIEW is finding a couple of VI's with the same name, or something equivalent to this.

LabVIEW loads dependencies from it's search directories; here's how to add something to these.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/adding_dir_vi_srch_path/

With some dependency management, you should be able to have both libraries installed but use the correct one for individual applications, it'll just take a little dependency management:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361P-01/lvconcepts/viewing_dependencies/

Jack

Message 2 of 3
(2,233 Views)

Thank you for the helpful resources.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,222 Views)