LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi level drop down

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to have a multilevel drop down menu in Labview. I know I can use menu to create a drop down but I was trying to have something similar to what they have in Labview toolbar. So I click on one thing and a drop down shows up with links to other drop down menus. I am not sure if this possible or not. I dont have a vi yet, this is just initial research before a project. I just want to know if this is even possible. 

Thanks.

Kaawn

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,286 Views)

You can create multilevel run-time menus, which might be what you want?

rtm.png

This I created using the edit-time editor, but you can also create them programmatically during execution.

Customizing Menus Programmatically 

Create and Edit Run-Time Menus in LabVIEW 

I believe the same can be done for a VI's runtime menu (i.e. what appears on the toolbar (File, Tools, etc) during runtime).

To do the same for the LabVIEW IDE I think you'd have to look at Project Providers (which are fairly complicated, but possible). Note these can crash LabVIEW during development if you make errors (so it can be frustrating if you're not perfect, and who's perfect?)

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,249 Views)

Hi Cbutcher,

This looks like what I need. Do you have a vi for the picture you uploaded? If you do, would you please be able to share that? I am using Labview 8.0. Also, I do not really need a runtime or program menu, I was looking for somthing similar to the picture that has multi layer of drop downs but this is mainly for a project. What I mean is that, if you go to a car website, and start browsing, it will give you the brand names in a drop down, and then once you select one it will pop up another drop down with the models for that make and so on, and that is what I am looking for. I apologize if I was not clear in the original post. I believe I do have to use the enum or ring to create a drop down, but I am struggling to make it multi layered.

Thanks,

Kaawn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,174 Views)

I'm not sure how you'd do this with an enum or a ring.

However, you can combine a trick to get a Runtime menu on left click with a custom runtime menu to get the behaviour that you perhaps want.

I've attached the VI, written with LabVIEW 2019 and backsaved to 8.0, but I obviously can't test it in LabVIEW 8.0 without it installed, so I can't guarantee the same behaviour.

Let me know if it doesn't do what you want.

You can customise the menu at runtime using the Menu refnum or at edit time with a .rtm file or customised control. See the links in my previous reply.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,155 Views)