LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move an activated product to another computer - What is the correct method

Say I got a permanent Labview license for one PC only. Say I activated the labview license on the PC, later found out the PC is too slow, and want to transfer Labview to another PC.

My agent instructed me to uninstall the activated labview on the existing PC without needing the PC to be online,  and call up National Instrument about the transfer so they can update their database. Is this the correct method?

But it seems it is possible to cheat by having labview still in the old PC without uninstalling it, call NI to say that I have uninstall the activated Labview in the old PC, and give NI the new computer ID to activate Labview on the new PC. Do this 100 times and I got 100 PC with Labview permanently activated.

Is my understanding correct? Advance thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(9,684 Views)

You can always cheat, however I assume that the activation computer of NI will detect such actions on specific licenses.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 2 of 8
(9,678 Views)
You might get away with one.  I doubt you'll get much further than that.
Message 3 of 8
(9,655 Views)
I think the correct method is to goto the liscence manager of the first computer, de-activate the liscence then activate the new pc, now you have only one PC active.   
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
Message 4 of 8
(9,642 Views)
Paul is correct.  That is the correct way of moving licenses.  Cheating will not get you very far.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(9,639 Views)

Sorry to bump old post, but this is relevant to me.

I wish to switch from one PC to another.  The kicker is the new PC is government owned and cannot be put on the internet.  How will I be able to license it?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(8,344 Views)

@asdlkfjalskdjf wrote:

Sorry to bump old post, but this is relevant to me.

I wish to switch from one PC to another.  The kicker is the new PC is government owned and cannot be put on the internet.  How will I be able to license it?

It'a bit convulted, but basically you follow the prompts, telling your installation that you aren't connected to the internet.  it will instruct you to call an automated number which will generate a license based on info you give it.

I believe that is how it is done.
Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(8,335 Views)

You really need to determine if you have a "Named User" license or a "computer based" license (see http://www.ni.com/pdf/legal/us/software_license_agreement.pdf). If you have a Named User license, you can have LabVIEW on up to three (3) computers, as long as you are the only one using it under this license and you don't have it running on more than one computer at once. If it's a computer based license, you can only have it on one computer, but anyone you authorize can use it.

So, you may not have to do anything to put it on another computer.

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(8,334 Views)