From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Module Synchronizing NI 9220 and 9403

Hi everyone,

We've been studying an implementation of data acquisition in LabVIEW FPGA, but doubts have arisen when trying to implement some code in FPGA.

Although I've searched for a while in the forums and some articles I am still curious if it will work.

In the case, we have four Modules (2 x  NI 9220 and 2 x NI 9403).

The goal is to acquire these data simultaneously from the four modules, but the question is?

If we put the I/O Nodes in the same Node, can we guarantee that the data being pulled out at same time? Considering we are using standard mechanisms for controlling loop rate.

By the way, when reading the examples about the NI 9220 I saw a structure called FPGA I/O Method which differs from the standard I/O Node, but the documentation on it is very sparse. This method does not allow to read data from the NI 9403, only from NI 9220. 

Regards.

Felipe Pinheiro Silva

Follow my blog for LV content!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,262 Views)

Hi Felipe,

Answering your question: Yes! 

According to this article, what you need to synchronize different modules is:

• The modules must use the same master timebase source
  • The modules must start acquisition mode at the same time
  • A single FPGA I/O Node function must read the synchronous data

In your specific case, as you your NI 9220 has a successive approximation register (SAR) ADC and the 9403 is a DI module, you just need to put them in the same FPGA I/O Node. When using Modules with Delta Sigma ADC, things get trickier, as explained in the same article I mentioned above.

I opened an Example for the NI 9220 and added the NI 9403 to my FPGA Target. I was able to put them in the same FPGA I/O node.

Capture.JPG

Try using this project as a starting point and then adapt the code to your needs.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Felipe Flores
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,220 Views)

Thanks for your answer Felipe.

Extending the doubt, I was referring actually to the example "NI 9220 User-Controlled IO Sampling.lvproj" and the "Read I/O Method" used in the mentioned example (Picture).

Our application has to acquire 15.360 S/s, for this I think we can use a derived clock with the "Generate I/O Sample Pulse" function. 

My first thought was using a standard "I/O Node", but I am not sure if it works with the "Generate I/O Sample Pulse" or vice-versa.

For solving this I think we could use in parallel an "Occurrence" function for the Digital Module, but I must be sure that I don't have any other more sophisticated solution before I go to this approach.

Capturar.PNG

Felipe Pinheiro Silva

Follow my blog for LV content!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,212 Views)