From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifying a read from text file

Solved!
Go to solution

I understand that in order to read from a text file and display the resulting array in a control, you need to use the property nodes. I've set up the VI to do exactly that.

Now, however, I want to be able to modify the resulting control so that the indicator changes as well. As far as I can tell, the attached VI does this with some small complications. Because of the way the case structure is set up, the timing of the change to the control must be exactly right so that the value will be caught on the right side of the loop (I've put the VI in "Run Continuously" mode).

Is there a better way I can accomplish a similar task and will transition the changes easier?

I've attached the VI as well as a sample text file filled with arbitrary numbers.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,376 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author stwlee

Who says you have to use a property node?  Use a local variable.  It is a lot more efficient and does the same job.

Now for your indicator...USE DATA FLOW.  Wire directly to your indicator from where you are updating your control.

Other edits:  Only write to the control inside of the case structure.  This will make things simpler.

The False case is empty.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,350 Views)

Thanks a bunch. I changed it a little, because I wanted the display to show the real time changes as opposed to what was being written so I left that connected outside.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,340 Views)