From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modbus TCP Polling

Hi all

I am trying to create a VI that allows me to monitor modbus polls over TCP. The slave device is a Elpro 245U-E Ethernet modem. I can succesfully read x amount of registers using a program called Modscan as seen below. 

Modscan Shot.png

I want to recreate something similar to this in Labview. All im interested in is the number of polls and the poll responces. 

I am using Labview 12.0 on Win7. I have used the modbus library previously to create a few VIs. I cannot find an example there that would help me do this.

Are there any examples available else where? any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chad

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,458 Views)

Hi Chad-TQ

I'm not sure that there is a program we have that simply monitors the bus for requests and responses without writing anything explicitly itself.  I know that you would certainly be able to use a counter to keep track of the Modbus Reads and Writes that you perform in your program, if that is what you are trying to do.  However, access to all Modbus traffic from any source to any register is information that I do not think you will be able to access.

You could try posting this question to the Industrial Communications Forum linked below:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Industrial-Communications/bd-p/260

Someone there might have a better idea of a strange workaround that could get you the information you need.

Andrew T.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,426 Views)

Just follow my example code in this thread.  You will need to send a read of address 1 just like your modscan is doing.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Kollmorgen-AKD-communication-with-Labview-Ethernet-IP-drivers/td-p/2...

Message 3 of 4
(2,421 Views)

Thanks guys, will give it a try.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,405 Views)