LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing samples in data from cDAQ

I have a system with three cDAQ modules.  I initialize each to gather data at 2 Hz, then enter a timed loop that runs once per second.  In this loop, I read each cDAQ using the -1 default value for number of data points to read (i.e., read all the samples in the buffer).  Obviously, I expect two samples each program loop.

Instead, on some cycles I get 4 samples, and on some no samples at all.

The timed loop executes all code in ~400 msec, so the one second loop time should be comfortable.

Further, each loop I write data to a spreadsheet file.  On most cycles, the time value increments by 1 second as expected.  On the cycles with missing data, the time increments by a much smaller amount, ~0.2 seconds.  Since I have the timed loop configured to skip late cycles, I do not understand what is happening and any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,767 Views)

Hello Hoard, 

Would it be possible for you to post your code? Being able to look at what you're saying makes things much simpler. Also, what cDAQ modules are you using?

Jonathan L.
Technical Support Senior Group Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,721 Views)
Are you running this on a real time platform? If not and you are using Windows you should avoid using timed loops.

What type of bus is your cDAQ connected to? I would not expect the data to be available exactly when it is measured because it has to be transmitted to your host and goes through several buffers.

Have you checked the waveform timestamps on the data being read to verify that samples are being lost?
Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,709 Views)

From memory, the cDAQs are 9172.

I can post the code but it is very large.  Any suggestion how to bundle the whole program with subvis etc?

I was using a While loop with a Wait for Millisecond Multiple but this is of course not at all exact timing.  I changed last week to a Timed Loop and it has greatly reduced the incidence of missing data, but not to zero.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,690 Views)

Instead of setting the samples to read to -1, set it to 2. That way it will pull 2 samples off the buffer when it can. Just be sure to change the time out condition for your DAQmx read VI to something large (~4sec) to account for your OS being non-deterministic. Also just FYI, the timed loop does NOT ensure that it executes every second. 

Jonathan L.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,664 Views)

I used to do that, but it introduces another issue.  If you don't read every second (for instance if a dialog box opens and you take 10 seconds to answer while the hardware keeps sampling(, then you leave samples in the buffer and read old data.  Over a week of running, you get significantly behind, and eventually get a buffer overflow error.

Is there a command that finds out how much data is currently in the buffer?  If so then we can read that many bites.  Maybe that is a solution.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,649 Views)

If you're looking to run your program for so long with determinism I would strongly suggest using a real time system. Having said that, could you possible use the "DAQmx Wait for Next Sample Clock.vi" to only read samples after the sample clock has pulsed? 

Jonathan L.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,624 Views)