LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing block diagram

Ouch, Gerd, careful with the truth, it hurts Smiley Frustrated

That said, source control treats VI's as binaries so every time you change something, it takes an entire copy.

@643 kB, the required storage adds up quickly.

I tend to check stuff in when the the arrows are unbroken.  This one was a bit of a ripup and took quite a while.

My stupidity aside, does anyone actually care that Labview is crashing and corrupting souce code?

I kind of thought that this is a major defect and would be a showstopper.

For an IDE, this is unforgivable.

Tim L.

iTm - Senior Systems Engineer
uses: LABVIEW 2012 SP1 x86 on Windows 7 x64. cFP, cRIO, PXI-RT
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(1,520 Views)

Hi Timmar,

does anyone actually care that Labview is crashing and corrupting souce code?

I don't experience such crashing - using mostly LV2009 and LV2011. LV2013/2014 is used very seldom, but here I also experience nearly no crashes.

Sometimes those crashes are related to the things you use in your VIs. ActiveX components? Any other 3rd party stuff? Also VIs tend to get more unstable with their filesize (which is closely related to their BD size).

All you need to keep in mind is : "save early, save often"…

And limiting SCC by available disc space is really silly (IMHO)!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(1,516 Views)

The only exotics I use are Classes, and lots of them.  They are all standard build within LV,.

I am pretty sure are the crash triggers, I often get a crash when I try to manipulate dynamic data members, structures or inheritance.

Everything else is bog standard.

Philisophicaly speaking, I don't believe that I should be able write (source) code that crashes the development environment,

that has to be a Labview BUG!

or am I just tilting at windmills here.

Tim L

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(1,510 Views)

I make a habit of checking in code every night and then updating in the morning.  Seems to work pretty well with my team.

Yes, I am concerned with bugs in LabVIEW.  If you get the promt to sent the crash report to NI, send it.  And send it every time.  NI does look at those to prioritize bug fixes.

There has been weird bugs with LVOOP for a long time.  From what I have heard, most of those bugs are fixed.  You might have hit on one of the more obscure bugs.

And be sure to tell your underlings (Mark and Chase) "hey" for me.  It was fun hanging out with them all last week.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(1,497 Views)

It is interesting that you suggest sending the crash report.

When I contacted NI about this family of bugs 18 months ago, I asked if they could use my crash reports to trace the problem, they didn't seem to be interested in  investigateing them. after more than 100 crash reports I gave up sending them. 

Each report takes a couple of minutes to send.

This is precious time I need back to re-load my project (3+ minutes) and survey any damage that the crash has done. and re-deploy to target (7+ minutes)

Best way I have found to find problems (they are sneaky and hide under compiled code):

1. Clear compiled object cache,

2. See which arrows break, that will pinpoint any vi's with missing front panels or block diagrams.

3. Cross fingers it wasn't a .VI that you were working on

4. Use your source control tool to re-instate the corrupted .VI to an earlier version.

Tim L

Message 15 of 22
(1,469 Views)

Ofcourse my LV crashes a few times a week, if you dont crash LV you're not working. 😄

I've not had a corrupted VI due to this since LV8.2, so you must be really unlucky.

You mention 643 kb, i hope that's not 1 VI. If so, that might be a problem. A big VI for me is 200kb, usually around 30-50kb.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(1,447 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

You mention 643 kb, i hope that's not 1 VI. If so, that might be a problem. A big VI for me is 200kb, usually around 30-50kb.

/Y

Harddrive space is cheap, as long as it isn't MB per file being committed who cares?  Something that helps with this is using the separate compiled code.  The compiled code is a small part of the VI file but it can save some of the space taken up by commits to SCC.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(1,426 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@Yamaeda wrote:

/Y

Harddrive space is cheap, as long as it isn't MB per file being committed who cares?  Something that helps with this is using the separate compiled code.  The compiled code is a small part of the VI file but it can save some of the space taken up by commits to SCC.

Yes, HDDs are cheap, that's not the point and i assume the end code will be about the same size regardless, but big VI's has been problematic before, that's the point i was getting at.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(1,417 Views)

I agree, big VI's are a problem.

In LV 12 this VI would show broken arrow without an error message.

All I would have to do was add a control and then delete it and it would all work fine after that.

Seems to be fixed in LV 13 though.

VI has 100's of controls and lots of graphical elements - it is A SCADA for industrial application.

Part of my lost work was stripping it down an putting functionality into modules, in an attempt to reduce the code.

Unfortunaltely when you are dealing with front panel items they are difficult to manage them inside a sub.VI

More specificaly, you need to handle them as references and the code becomes quite obfusicated.

I am planning to go to xcontrols to simplify but I have been warned off them as historicaly they are prone to bugs, crashing and unexpected CPU usage.

P.S. they are a great solution concept.

Message 19 of 22
(1,410 Views)

Hooovah,

I am working in a real-time environment and last time I separated compiled code from VI's (LV11), I couldn't run the built .RTEXE's.

Unchecked the box, and Hey Presto, it worked again.

I have wanted to try again but as with all things labview, these trials cost time and the rewards aren't tangeable

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(1,409 Views)