LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Joystick Query Input Devices

I'm having some porblems with HID devices. Using LabVIEW 2011 on a windows 8.1 computer. I just got a USB joystick that I want to communicate with to move a robot. This should be fairly straightforward, the only problem is that the computer finds 8 joystick type devices and none of them are the RS Desktop device that I want to communicate with. I have tried to communicate with all of them to no avail. I am using the simple Demo that comes with LabVIEW. 

If I plug this device into my laptop it is recognized right away as RS Desktop, and that is the only item in the list. Has anyone seen issues with LabVIEW and the input devices for joysticks causing problems? I do not want to create homebrew drivers because I just want to be able to plug this in and have it work!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,729 Views)

One thing that may be important is that the one computer I am working with is a Windows 8.1 (not currently recognizing the device), and the laptop is a windows 7 device. Both of the devices have 64 bit OS but use 32 bit labview. Using a newer version of LabVIEW (2012 and 2013) doesn't seem to make any difference.

Does anyone know of a way to wrap windows DLLs to accomplish the same thing as lvinput.dll, but perhaps with more insight into why I cannot recognize the device?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,692 Views)

So I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. If I unplug the wireless keyboard dongle from the computer it works. If I unplug the mouse I realize I haven't mastered the ability to run windows without a mouse and can't navigate well enough to see if that makes any difference Smiley Sad

If someone has insight into this that would be awesome! Until then I'm either using the sweet joystick or keyboard, but not both!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,689 Views)

Just to see if I get this straight, if you have your joystick connected along with either your keyboard or mouse it works, but if both keyboard and mouse are connected the joystick won't work. Is that correct?

Also, if I understand right, the joystick is working properly on the Windows 7 laptop. Is that also correct? If that's the case, maybe it is a Windows 8 issue.

By any chance (and if the joystick works fine on the laptop), have you have tried connecting your wireless keyboard and mouse to the laptop along with the joystick just to see what happens?

In your first post you mentioned a Demo; can you tell me which Demo is it?

When you say your joystick does / doesn't work under the different scenarios you mentioned; do you mean LabVIEW or Windows?

I would like to know that information before considering anything as a possible conclusion.

Camilo V.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,669 Views)

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, LabVIEW 2012 32-bit, and have no problem using the Joystick VIs that come with LabVIEW (of course, I need to plug in a USB joystick ...).  I'm doing my very best to stay away from Windows 8 ...

BS

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,657 Views)