cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing C Module Prompt for cDAQ-9137

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I am trying to set up a cDAQ-9137 for unsupervised, continuous data capture and logging for an extended period of time (2 weeks +). I've just created a new blank Labview project, and have added my cDAQ as a target. However, when I right click on my cDAQ and go to "Add Targets and Devices," the C module prompt is missing, the only option is "MXIe-RIO chassis". I was trying to go off of this tutorial: http://www.ni.com/tutorial/52027/en/

I've attached a screenshot of the Measurement and Automation Explorer, and the labview prompt. In particular, I am trying to add the NI 9232 "cDAQ1Mod3." It is installed, and I can run a test panel with it.

I am a lab intern, and I don't have a lot of experience with labview, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,885 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AbeG

Hi AbeG,

Thank you for attaching screenshots of your project and of NI MAX with this forum post! Unfortunately I do not have a real-time CompactDAQ directly available to test at the moment, but I'm fairly certain you should be able to read I/O without explicitly adding in C Series Modules with your cDAQ. The reason why you need to add modules explicitly to CompactRIO targets is because the modules can execute in either Scan Interface or FPGA interface. With a RT CompactDAQ target, there is no such FPGA interface option; instead your controller will read I/O from your C Series Modules directly.

If there is not an option for "C Series Module" under the New submenu when right clicking the RT CompactDAQ target, then I'm inclined to believe that you should be able to target it by device name thereafter. What I mean is that if you create a VI using our DAQmx API under your RT CompactDAQ target, you should be able select "CDaq1Mod3" as a hardware target for that task. Please verify that by either dropping a DAQ Assistant or creating a simple DAQmx task for acceleration (or whatever you are measuring) under the RT CompactDAQ target. Thank you!

Message 2 of 6
(3,839 Views)

Thank you for replying!

I had tried that earlier and it didn't work, but I went back and reinstalled NI Max and now it sees the C module.

However, referring back to this tutorial:http://www.ni.com/tutorial/52027/en/

On step 9 they drag the AI channels from the project tree into the block diagram. Since my project tree does not show the AI channels directly, how can I get the same type of input channel into my block diagram?

Thank you for the help,
Abe

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,827 Views)

I believe (if my understanding is correct from Yiran's post) that you actually need to use DAQmx, not the real-time tutorial you've linked.

Try this 

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/2835/en/

Or try looking up other DAQmx tutorials/examples. They should hopefully point you in the right direction.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,819 Views)

The cDAQ I'm using (9137) says to use Real-time. I need the cDAQ to perform unmonitored data capture and logging over about a month's time. I was hoping that tutorial wasn't cRIO specific. I'll take a look around for a real-time tutorial specifical for DAQmx.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,810 Views)

That tutorial is cRIO specific, since it's showcasing the Scan Interface functionality. WIth the cDAQ-9137 RT, you'll be able to implement deterministic operations in LabVIEW Real-Time via Timed Loops, but you will still be using the DAQmx API to interface with your hardware. 

The I/O nodes that they dragged and drop in your example are Shared Variables which are updated via the Scan Interface FPGA profile and Scan Engine, but Scan Interface is not available with DAQmx-based applications. Unfortunately there are not any RT-specific DAQmx examples, since you should be able to use the DAQmx API as you would for normal desktop applications. If you don't already have experience with DAQmx, I would highly recommend trying either a DAQ Assistant or saving a copy of one of our DAQmx examples which you can find under Hardware Input and Output > DAQmx in our Example Finder (Help > Find Examples) to see how to get started with DAQmx. Bear in mind that you do need to deploy the DAQmx drivers to your cDAQ RT target to be able to use the API on that target. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,797 Views)