LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimizing LabVIEW application to system tray or running it as a Windows process

Hi guys,

Is there a way I can minimize a LabVIEW application to the system tray on the right bottom corner of the screen ? My application will run all the time and all I want is a pop-up when errors or information/reports have to be displayed. I have searched exhaustively and now am posting this question. Please let me know if this can be done.

also, Can a LabVIEW application run as a Windows process? Like it starts up automatically on booting the system?

Thanks!

V

I may not be perfect, but I'm all I got!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(9,583 Views)

If you search for System Tray you'll find lots of people trying to do the same thing and a few places with example code to get it working.  But the best method I've seen is actually on the Lava forums.

http://lavag.org/topic/14060-put-your-labview-in-the-tray-once-and-for-all/page__p__86042__hl__+syst...

As for starting a application on startup.  Again I expect searching you'll find alot of people saying the easiest way is to create a shortcut to your application, then place the shortcut in the Startup folder in your start menu.

Message 2 of 14
(9,579 Views)

Thanks Hoovah! I did a lot of searching for the tray solution, but didnt find the one you sent. This loooks like the one I need.

Also, I figured out a way to start the application on boot-up. So let's scratch that 🙂

V

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(9,577 Views)

You were pretty quick on the reply but looking at this method I think I like the feature set a little more.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-10683

This was posted within the Lava post from my last reply.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(9,573 Views)

I know you said you'd resolved the startup issue, but the easiest way is to add a registry string to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

You can get LabVIEW to write it if it's not there already. Duncan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(9,547 Views)

Hi Hoovah!! This is a notify icon on the system tray. I want my application front panel itself to minimize to system tray!!! How is that achieved with these funtions?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(9,519 Views)

Scratch y previous post! I have figured it out. THanks! These functions are brillinant!!!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(9,516 Views)

This Inventeering toolkit allows you to create a LabVIEW program that can access the Window's System Tray. Now you can make your LabVIEW program show up with your custom icon, pop up tool tip, and pop up menu in the system tray. Comes with a Royalty Free built application distribution license.

Product Features:

PROGRAMMABLE loading of icons, tool tips and menus to the system tray that will allow your program to poll for system tray events; and then respond in accordance to your design needs. An example LabVIEW Program demonstrating use is also provided.

http://www.inventeering.com/_public/INVtray/INVtray.zip

INVtray

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(9,408 Views)

Hi gmiles,

when you have done your advertising you may check your website for the price tag of that software.

I found three different price numbers for the same software, which is irritating for a possible customer...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(9,396 Views)

Hi,

I want my application front panel itself to minimize to system tray how can i do this.

Thanks,

Nitin

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(8,905 Views)