LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Met Office datapoint xml reader?

The UK Met office have made their data freely available via 'datapoint'. www.metoffice.gov.uk/datapoint

Has anyone written an xml reader for datapoint?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,249 Views)

Can't say I'm familiar with this, but what do you expect to see? After a quick look, it looks like it's a bunch of different services, so each one would simply have its own XML/JSON data. Why not just read it from the site and then either use the XML VIs with some XPath or simply unflatten from JSON directly to a cluster?

(3,145 Views)

Yep, it looked straight forward to me. But I suspect their format wanders from XML because the website didn't play ball when I sent the commands they cite. It's a shame because my greenhouse 'really' needs a predictive weather control system. 😉

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,881 Views)

@grahamwebb wrote:

But I suspect their format wanders from XML

Doesn't seem to make much sense (unless that wandering is into other standards like JSON), since a cursory look at their example shows that they have pretty thorough documentation, which I assume means they did things properly. If anything, I would expect your commands were malformed in some way (missing headers they expect, etc). There are tools for testing web services and I would suggest you try one of those (or even the web page they seem to give) rather than your own code first to see if it works. You could use a sniffer like Wireshark to monitor the traffic and find the differences between your code and the thing that works if this is important enough to you.

(2,859 Views)