LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring Voltage Signal from a Pressure Transducer on NI USB-6008

I need some assistance in setting up a test fixture for data collection of change in pressures. The application is to detect change in pressures within Saline solution.

I have a need for someone to help with the correct setup for TE Pressure Transducers I purchased. I have P/N M3031-000005-10KPG and also P/N M3041-000006-01KPG. I am trying to setup a LabView program with the use of an National Instruments (NI) DAQ (Model NI USB-6008). As far as I know I have the equipment set up correctly, but I am not getting any change in pressure readings when applying any pressure at all. My setup is explained below and I also have attached some photos to show my wiring connections.

I realize that both sensors require different power sources. The M3031-000005-10KPG requires a +5V +/-.25V power source which is provided from the NI DAQ. The white wire(+Output) is going to the first input slot (AI0) and the black wire (Common) is going to ground (GND), and red wire (Power Supply) is going to +5V on the DAQ. This can all be seen in the attached photos. Is this setup correct?

For the other sensor (M3041-000006-01KPG) I would need an independent power source providing between 10V and 30V (will be happy for any suggestions for the power supply I would need to purchase). So when I connect my sensor to the power supply for the M3041-000006-01KPG how would I wire the connection to the power source and the DAQ. What is the correct wiring setup for this sensor given the alternate power supply?

Additional Questions and Recap:

M3031-000005-10KPG

1. What is the correct wiring setup to the NI DAQ for data collection?
  2. Are the sensors rated for detection pressure change in Saline solution, and can it be submerged in liquid?
  3. What is the range the sensor will detect change in pressures?
    1. Currently the data collection flatlines at .501 V won’t change with added pressure
  4. Do I need a specific test setup for calibration?

M3041-000006-01KPG

1. What is the correct wiring setup to the NI DAQ and power supply for data collection?
  2. Are the sensors rated for detection pressure change in Saline solution, and can it be submerged in liquid?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,143 Views)

Hi nolend,

@nolend wrote:

M3031-000005-10KPG

1. What is the correct wiring setup to the NI DAQ for data collection?
    1. Currently the data collection flatlines at .501 V won’t change with added pressure

M3041-000006-01KPG

It seems you should ask an electrical engineer next to you. When you are responsible to create such a setup then you should know the answers to all your questions…

1. You should connect GND of the DAQ device with GND/common of the sensors and the additional power supply. You can power the M3031 sensor from the DAQ device: connect +5V output with +Supply of the sensor. The other sensors gets the +Supply from your power supply. Then wirte the sensor outputs to AI channels of the DAQ device.
  2. Those sensors are advertized as "low cost": I would not submerge them in saline solutions…
  3. You should be able to read the datasheets for those sensors! To help you with reading: one sensor has "10KP" as part of its name, the other "01KP"… (Which pressure did you apply to your "10KP" sensor? Which output value do you expect for the applied pressure?)
  4. You always need a specific setup for calibrations…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,090 Views)
  1. You should connect GND of the DAQ device with GND/common of the sensors and the additional power supply. You can power the M3031 sensor from the DAQ device: connect +5V output with +Supply of the sensor. The other sensors gets the +Supply from your power supply. Then wire the sensor outputs to AI channels of the DAQ device. I have this set up correctly for the M3031 sensor, the DAQ provides +5V as I checked it with a Volt  Meter. However, is there sufficient current to keep the sensor powered up? Not sure about this. I have limited experience with electrical repair as I am a Mechanical Engineer. And unfortunately the lab does not have an Electrical Engineer on staff.
  2. Those sensors are advertised as "low cost": I would not submerge them in saline solutions… I admit I have not seen the datasheets provided on the digi-key website of the sensors not rated for use in saline or water. However, our counterparts that work in California are already using these sensors with this application and are able to provide readings while submerged in saline.
  3. You should be able to read the datasheets for those sensors! To help you with reading: one sensor has "10KP" as part of its name, the other "01KP"… (Which pressure did you apply to your "10KP" sensor? Which output value do you expect for the applied pressure?) I am supplying the adequate pressure that would show readings up to the max of the sensor I am using. I was able to get the pressure generator to provide up to 5,000psi. I am not going up that high during my testing the transducer, I have only reached up to 500psi. This should register a change in voltage output from the transducer but does not.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,078 Views)