From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring TCP connection speed

Hi everyone, 

I'm trying to calculate the speed of TCP session. I've been trying to get it from Windows performance counters but I think there is a problem with that. I'm not seeing the same result in Task Manager's "Ethernet" graph. So I tried to calculate with high resolution timer. I'm sending 1024 bytes from server side and client side stops waiting after buffered packets come in. I think this is not true at all. Do you have any suggestion or experience about my problem?

Thanks in advance,

Actor Framework rocks!
Emre TUZUNER
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,207 Views)

The TCP nodes work asynchronously! This means if you call a TCP Write, the function will return before the actual data is really transferred over the wire! TCP Write places the data in a buffer and transfers it to the socket driver and then simply returns while the socket driver will start transferring the data to the network card which at some point might/should place the bytes on the wire. As long as you do not run out of memory you can keep throwing more data at the socket connection with TCP Write and the return from TCP Write has absolutely no connection in time when the data is really transferred over the network.

TCP Read is similarly asynchronous but in the opposite way. It will sit there and wait until the timeout expired, the number of required bytes have been received, or the socket reports an error.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,138 Views)

Hi Rolf, 

Actually I couldn't understand what you meant but please forgive me if I'm too away from your reply. 

Of course if there is nothing to read in TCP Read side, TCP Write VI throws an error because packages have no place to go. After I run TCP Read.vi, I'm running the other VI to send 1024 bytes. TCP Read.vi polls packages and stops, it's a one time thing, no loop's needed. I've read a lot of stuff for .NET but I couldn't find enough for LabVIEW. I don't know if it is possible but where do you think I'm doing wrong?

BTY, here is an example for reading performance counters through .NET API:  http://www.ni.com/example/30405/en/ 

Thanks,

Actor Framework rocks!
Emre TUZUNER
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,134 Views)

The problem is that trying to time the execution of the TCP Read nor the TCP Write nodes will give you any meaningful timing values that you could use to calculate transfer data speed, especially if you do it only once, and not continuously in a loop.

Lets look at what happens when you issue a TCP Write: (timing is just a very rough and somewhat exaggerated indication to show the problem you will see)

0 us: TCP Write start

0.5 us: calling some internal functions to translate the TCP IP refnum to a Windows socket

1 us: calling the Windows socket function write() with the pointer to the data buffer

2 us: write() allocates a socket buffer and copies the data into it

8 us: write() signals to the Windows socket handler that the socket has a new buffer that needs to be transmitted over the network.

9 us: The Windows socket handler checks the status of the network card and if it is valid it starts transferring the first chunk of memory into the network card buffer, signalling to write() that everything is fine.

9.5 us: The network card places the first byte of the data on the wire

10 us: write() returns with success as it buffered the entire data internally in the socket and the socket handler indicated to it that it is going to handle the data as there is a valid connection

11 us: TCP Write returns happily to your diagram indicating success

50 us: The Windows socket handler finishes transferring the last chunk of data to the network card, signalling internally in the socket that the connection is still valid, and all data has been transmitted.

55us: the last byte in the network card has been sent out over the wire

So while your timing will indicate that the TCP Write took about 11 us, the data transfer period in the network card was really about 45 us, and incidentally has almost no overlap at all with what your TCP Write timing measured.

This is what I mean with asynchronous operation. The execution time of TCP Write is more or less completely independent from the execution time of the real data transfer on the network wire. As such it will be way of from what you can see in the task manager as the task manager shows internal network performance counters that are updated in the low level network card driver and indicate more accurately what is really happening on the wire.

You can get a timing that matches the Windows network measurements more accurately by writing lots and lots of data to the network in a loop and measure the average data transfer speed but even that is only so much accurate. What you measure on the application level is the TCP/IP payload, what the network layer measures is the actual IP data frames lengths that is transferred. Your TCP/IP frame has an additional TCP and an IP frame header in front of your payload data, so the network always transfers more data than what you send and receive on the application level.

Reading has a similar but in fact opposite issue. TCP Read will generally wait some time before data happens to arrive and will return when the requested data has arrived (or an error has occurred) NOT when the sent data has fully arrived, which could be a lot more.

So while your timing on the TCP Write mainly measures the execution time of copying the memory buffer into the socket itself rather than the transfer time over the network, timing the TCP Read will mainly measure the time of the function to wait for data to arrive, and to copy that data out of the socket into your LabVIEW string buffer. There is no real correlation with the network transfer at all here.

Once you start to do this in a loop that can saturate the network link (or the LabVIEW data handling in either TCP Write or Read) you get closer to a meaningful value but still nothing you can easily compare with what the Task Manager reports for your network interface.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 5
(3,129 Views)

Thanks Rolf, I understand your point. I forgot that TCP is all about buffers. I'll be bencmarking some methods and I'll share the results here soon.

Actor Framework rocks!
Emre TUZUNER
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,109 Views)