From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring Pressure

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to measure pressure out of my pressure transducer and can't figure out the electronic wiring to measure it properly. My setup is the following:

NI cRIO-9068 

NI 9205 analog input module (using RSE)

OMEGA PX319-500G5V (the full scale is 500 psig and output is 0-5 VDC, linear relationship)

lab power supply at 12 VDC

At first I wanted to measure it with a multimeter which I did successfully by supplying the voltage to pins 1 and 2 according to OMEGA's pinout. And then I hooked the red lead from my multimeter to pin 3 (output) and the black lead to my negative terminal of my power supply. 

Now I want to implement this in LabVIEW. So I connected the pin 3 wire from the sensor to pin 1 of the NI 9205 (AI0) using a RSE connection. But I don't how I can connect my COM to anything since I only have one signal wire. And when I have just the pin 3 wire connected it gives me the wrong voltage (supplying 100 psi to the sensor currently so it should read around 1 V out). I'm getting -2.86 V instead. Does the range of the NI 9205 have any effect? Because it's at +- 10 V whereas the sensor is outputting 0-5 V. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,897 Views)

Connect 9205.COM to PowerSupply.Minus

Best regards,

Jarle Ekanger, MSc, PhD, CLD
Flow Design Bureau AS

- "The resistance of wires in LabVIEW is not dependent on their length."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,815 Views)

Thanks. I ended up realizing that after writing this post, but when I tested it with one of my pressure sensors for some reason it will read 1.23 volts no matter what pressure is applied to it. Would this be a problem with the sensor itself? Because I also called OMEGA and told me this is the way to wire it. In both LabVIEW and on the multimeter it won't change the voltage reading coming off of the output wire. 

I have other sensors of the same part number so I'll test those out, too, so I can see if I can get a cause-and-effect type of event happening.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,802 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author NickBl

I figured out the problem. It was trapped pressure in our plumbing system when we vent it the pressure was still trapped in there so that's why it was constant. But we got it to work now.

Message 4 of 5
(2,788 Views)

 Can u help me....

I made a sensor. Now i want to measure its pressure by myrio but cannnot know anything?how to use myrio? 

How to connect my rio? Which pins of myrio used ? How to connect this sensor...please help if you know ?

20191206_144120.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,073 Views)