From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measurements with EtherCat chassis in FPGA mode

Hi,

I am trying to find out if there is possile to carry out measurements at 100KHz using NI9144 EtherCat chassis with a Real Time computer. I am using the NI9215 modules to measure voltages. Some example FPGA codes use DMA FIFOs but as I saw in the Forum are not available for NI9144. Could you suggest any feasible way to aquire the data ?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,210 Views)

Hi TapTap.

You are correct: You cannot transfer data from your EtherCat chassis using DMA. Instead, you need to use User-defined Variables. The following guide shows you how to setup your chassis, and how to communicate with it.

Setting Up EtherCAT on NI Programmable Automation Controllers

Also, make sure you have installed both the NI-RIO driver and the NI-Industrial Communications for EtherCAT, and make sure you have the correct versions.

NI-RIO and LabVIEW Version Compatibility

NI-Industrial Communications for EtherCAT and NI-RIO Compatibility

After you have installed the correct software, you can find some examples: Launch LabVIEW, go to Help => Find Examples. In this windows navigate to: Hardware Input and Output => NI-Industrial Communications => EtherCat. You can for example have a look in the FPGA folder.

I hope you can use this information.

Best Regards

Alex E. Munkhaus
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
System Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,173 Views)

I have already set up the communication with the proper software. This difference with cRIO and Ethercat about the UserDV, got me in troubles since I am not so familiar with EtherCat. I will check the examples you suggested. Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,170 Views)