LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure a DC voltage

Hi All,

a simple one,

I am using a USB6216 DAQ to measure a 3V dc signal. I am inputting the signal to a analog input.

Attached it the signal being read from the DAQ. Becasue of this the signal could be anywhere between 0-3 volts, which is casuing incorrect results.

How would i go about properly reading this voltage ?

Thanks,

Richard.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,460 Views)

Hi Richard,

usually you follow the manual as it explains how to measure input signals…

How does your wiring look like? How does the signal source look like?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,454 Views)

Hi lvrichard,

Can you clarify a few things?

• Your signal is not a DC signal but rather a more or less square wave, is this expected look?
  • Were you expecting a more or less constant level (in your case approx. 2,9 V)?
  • If the square look is expected, what value are you trying to measure, the high level (approx. 2.9 V on your screenshot)? 
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,437 Views)

Hi,

The input (confirmed with an oscilloscope) is a constant 2.9volts and not a square wave. I feel the square wave is a result of the sampling rate for some reason.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,421 Views)

Pure guessing...

Your disturbing pattern is exactly at 50 Hz and I can see your DAQ step is configured in differential mode, so I would suspect you are having serious (main power) common mode issues that may overload your DAQ device. Have you connected your ground correctly? Have you tried single-ended mode and if so... does that fix your issue?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,412 Views)

Hmm.  You appear to have a signal that "goes to ground" at very close to 50 Hz.  Are you, perhaps, at a location that has 50Hz A/C power?  Do you know about how to wire a DAQ device for analog voltage, including proper grounding?

While you show no code nor wiring diagram, the nature of the signal you show suggests a "wiring" issue as my "best guess".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,408 Views)

Hi Bob,

I am using a differntial set up. Do I still need to connect the negative terminal to AIGND ?

This seems to solve the issue ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,401 Views)

@lvrichard wrote:

I am using a differntial set up. Do I still need to connect the negative terminal to AIGND ?

Even differential signals need a ground reference.  So you need to make sure everybody is using the same ground.  I will just defer to a white paper from here: Field Wiring and Noise Considerations for Analog Signals

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,391 Views)