LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum number of TDMS files

Hi

What is the maximum number of TDMS files LabView can have open at the same time?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,479 Views)

In theory, 2^32.  In reality, you will likely be limited by memory first.  What exactly are you trying to do?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 7
(3,469 Views)

I have a system that opens a lot of TDMS files to store data in. I ran into problem when I reached just below 500 open files. I just created the files, did not start to stream data to them yet.

The error message I got was Error 2 "Memory is full", which is in line with your suspicion.

However, I closed all programs I could on my computer to get extra memory available, but I could not open more files anyway. This why I thought there might be a maximum number of TDMS files that LabView could handle at the same time.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,455 Views)

Why do you need that many TDMS files?  Couldn't you just put all of the data into 1 file using different groups for the different types of data (ie a group for each file you currenty have)?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,432 Views)

Are you using 32-bit LabVIEW? If that is the case, closing out all other applications may not let you open up more files because you are already maxed out on memory.

When you run your application I would use Performance Monitor or Task Manager to view how much memory LabVIEW is using. I tried this on my computer and could only open up references to 331 empty tdms files which caused a significant amoutn of memory growth.  The VIs I used for testing just opened up references to empty TDMS files and from what I could tell there was some pretty significant overhead with just opening the file up so Crossrulz's suggestion is probably the best. Along similar lines you could also open a TDMS reference, read the data and then just close the reference out if  you already have the TDMS files written or don't want to change that code.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 5 of 7
(3,402 Views)

OK, thank you so much for the feedback.

Regards

Magnus

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,334 Views)

Thanks are given with kudos, and marking solutions when appropriate.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-40451

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,311 Views)