cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maps are too slow (?)

Solved!
Go to solution

I agree with Rolf.

But there is another trick you can use: Connect a map to the connector pane, and send an empty map, in all actions of the AE. Then have only one other action, called "Read whole map" and then send the whole map to that connector.

Pantelis

LabVIEW could be the future... But bad management is killing it (see subscription model). It is NOT RECOMMENDED for new users.
Message 11 of 18
(978 Views)

Thanks pante, this helped me. I first had connected the original map instead of an empty map.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(954 Views)

Hi,

I tried it in a small test-project (MapsPerformance attached, LV2021 64 Bit).
In a new application I have to store a lot of data (strings, numbers, array of anything, picture...) global so that other components 

have access. So I use a FGV with a map intern and as data a cluster of variant and an enum for the data type.

That question now is how big could be the map before running in problems ...

For example if I insert a few pictures into the map it slows down...

Has anyone experience in sharing a lot of data in one application?
Is using maps the right way?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(860 Views)

Hi 

I can not open your project, because i have LV 2020, but...

Maps seems very well implemented. I use them to store a few thousands of clusters, in an application, with no problem.

Now... pictures are something else. A picture can be a very big file. A lot of data.

I would suggest to make a separate database, only for the pictures.

You can make a test and compare a database with maps, and a database with arrays.

It is very important to have a good code inside the FGV. A small wrong connection can have a very big impact, because you call that vi, many times.

Normally i would say if a FGV with maps is slow, most probably there is something wrong with your code (as i had).

LabVIEW could be the future... But bad management is killing it (see subscription model). It is NOT RECOMMENDED for new users.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(804 Views)

@-Helmut- wrote:

That question now is how big could be the map before running in problems ...

For example if I insert a few pictures into the map it slows down...

Is it a question or an observation? The performance of a map (lookup, insert, delete) is linked to the map size and grows very slowly (log2(N). Of course if each entry is a truckload of data that needs to be shuffled around, copying the data out will be proportionally slower, but that is the same in any other way of storing the data.

Eventually, you'll be running out of memory but you should not run into problems. Maps (as e.g. opposed to arrays) don't need one contiguous block of memory.

(Sorry, don't have LabVIEW 2021 on this computer here. Will look at your code later)

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(801 Views)

Your code is orders of magnitude too slow.

The outer subVIs (initmap, readkey, writekey) should be inlined.

for the FGV:

• disable debugging
  • delete the map indicator, it is not needed!  The data is stored in the shift register, not on the front panel. (most important!!!).
  • delete the disconnected boolean indicators since they are not needed.

replace the tick count with high resolution relative seconds and format the time indicators as e.g. "%.3ps" because both times will be sub-ms (<0.8ms, <0.3ms in my case). There is probably still some slack left to tighten up. 😄

altenbach_2-1660925821690.png

(This is on a VM, so it probably would be even faster on a real computer).

Message 16 of 18
(771 Views)

After deleting the map indicator the execution is one hundred times faster!

That is the solution, thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(714 Views)

I know this thread is long closed, but I wanted to throw out one more way to speed this up (in a more general sense). I needed a class to have a Map of values in its private data, which was being updated a few thousand times by a bunch of external function calls. Switching from a Map in the private data to a DVR of a map in the private data decreased my particular benchmarking case from about 1-2 minutes per run to about 60 milliseconds per run. This accomplishes the same effect as putting the map in an action engine, but this way is more useful for times when an AE doesn't make sense.

Message 18 of 18
(377 Views)