LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making sure .vi files are open with the right version

Hello everyone.

Here's my situation: I need to have LabVIEW 2010 and LabVIEW 2011 installed in my computer, as well as VI's of each of these versions. Is there any way to have Windows open the .vi file with the corresponding version of LabVIEW? I know LabVIEW 2011 is able of opening VI's from both versions but what I want is to prevent the scenario in which someone opens this file and saves the .vi in the 2011 version by accident, thus preventing me from opening in other computers where only LabVIEW 2010 is installed.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,544 Views)

You can't.

What you can do is vote for Version-aware LabVIEW launcher in the Idea Exchange.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,540 Views)

A good version control system (e.g. Subversion) and/or keeping files write protected is the current solution.

/Y 

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,530 Views)

We had a similar problem with our software and I just made main.bat -file for the main-VIs/projects in each project.

content in the bat-file fe.

"C:\Program File\National Instruments\Labview 2010\Labview.exe filename.vi"

OR

"C:\Program File\National Instruments\Labview 2011\Labview.exe filename.vi"

This way it opens allways in to the right LV-version.

This tho, doesnt prevent anyone from running your VI without the bat! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,528 Views)

im using virtual box from oracle to get round this problem, LV2010 on win7 then in the virtual machine LV8.6.1 on xp. And the great thing about this virtual box is that its free

Please remember to accept any solutions and give kudos, Thanks

LV 8.6.1, LV2010,LV2011SP1, FPGA, Win7
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,520 Views)

"We had a similar problem with our software and I just made main.bat -file for the main-VIs/projects in each project.

content in the bat-file fe.

"C:\Program File\National Instruments\Labview 2010\Labview.exe filename.vi"

OR

"C:\Program File\National Instruments\Labview 2011\Labview.exe filename.vi"

This way it opens allways in to the right LV-version.

This tho, doesnt prevent anyone from running your VI without the bat! :smileyhappy:"

This seems like a good idea speksih, if one could only retrieve the file version with the same script and then probably hide the actual .vi file so it's not opened by accident....it could work.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,496 Views)