From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a New File Using "Save As"

Solved!
Go to solution

Little feedback to the NI Staff here...

We are using LabVIEW 8.6; and, at least in this implementation, trying to make a new VI by using the Save As command produces a menu of choices, none of which make sense to me. Sorry, but I can't tell which of them will actually just produce a new file with an amended name to be further developed. Trial and error produces the creation of folders, but no files, overwrites the original file (why would I want to do that, I selected Save As not Save) and just about every result other than what I was trying to accomplish.

Maybe you have fixed this in a later version, but for 8.6, I feel like I need to take a class just to save the new file.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,150 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DoctorT

you're not the only one...  😉

Have you tried "Open Additional Copy"?  It is probably what you want.  It will not copy over the original one, and will keep the original one open.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,148 Views)

OK, mods can delete this if you want. The default which says

"Substitute Copy for Original"

contrary to what I interpret that to mean, actually produces the desired result. Confusing, but can make it work. EOR

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,143 Views)

Substitute copy for original will not delete the original, but may swap the VI if it a subvi inside an opened VI.  (I have not checked if it does the same when the VI is closed).

I know it is confusing.  Don't delete the thread as it may be useful for others.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,136 Views)