From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX 5.3.3 losing Aliases

I wonder what your VISA configuration file looks like...

Every time you boot up your machine, any resources that are no longer detected are removed from the VISA config file (MAX recreates/overwrites it).  The fact that your port is named COM11, rather than COM1, might point our attention here.

visaconf.ini is located in the C:\Program Data\National Instruments\NIvisa folder.  If you open it and scroll down to the [ALIASES] and [ASRL-RSRC-ALIAS] sections, we might learn something from the information stored there, particularly the values assigned to the Static flags.

If we really want to have some fun, you can try saving a copy of the file, running through the cycle again, and then replacing the new file (created on boot) with the previously saved version.  Just to see what happens ...

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(1,190 Views)

@KBreezy wrote:

I wonder what your VISA configuration file looks like...

Every time you boot up your machine, any resources that are no longer detected are removed from the VISA config file (MAX recreates/overwrites it).  The fact that your port is named COM11, rather than COM1, might point our attention here.

visaconf.ini is located in the C:\Program Data\National Instruments\NIvisa folder.  If you open it and scroll down to the [ALIASES] and [ASRL-RSRC-ALIAS] sections, we might learn something from the information stored there, particularly the values assigned to the Static flags.

If we really want to have some fun, you can try saving a copy of the file, running through the cycle again, and then replacing the new file (created on boot) with the previously saved version.  Just to see what happens ...

I'll give that a try when I get time and get back to you with that file from an unshipped production system.  It would be very nice to find something other that import MAX config to restore the system after E-stop (Removes power to the chassis but not the PC)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(1,172 Views)

What does the Windows dev(mangler) have to say about devices? Especially "hidden" ones? I've seen that confuse the hell out of MAX ( I'm running the same version)

Remember to "see" hidden devices you have to trick devmager into it via these commands.

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices= 1
start devmgmt.msc

Have great day.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(1,126 Views)

In MAX under Software/NI-VISA X.X - click the VISA Options tab

Then under My System/General Setting/Aliases

What do you see? Are your missing aliases listed there?

I find some of my missing aliases there when I switch out instruments and have to reasign them.

Omar
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(1,110 Views)