LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing communication with DAQ devices - help greatly appreciated

Bryan,

It looks like you have multiple charts with all set for 500000 length.  Not sure how much memory to expect this to consume.  Could be very large and could easily cause problems.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(755 Views)

Is there an easy diagnostic to see if I would be running into problems?  Task manager, perfmon, etc?

If so, is there a better way of retaining data over a 1 day test?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(753 Views)

Task manager should give you an overall view of memory usage.  If you have a professional LV system you can profile memory usage.

With this much data I would just log to disk.  If you need to look at charts after test is complete, then write a vi to read log file and display it.  Note that you may wish to split log file into several parts to control file size.

Message Edited by Wayne.C on 06-09-2009 04:01 PM
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(752 Views)

Just tested this - program in its posted form runs at 288 MB as a standalone application.  The previous form of this VI had 100k history length for all plots, and it runs at about 110 MB. 

Could this be a cause for loss of communication?  If not, what else could be causing this problem?

Thanks again for everyones continued help.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(736 Views)

Update on status of VI:

Reduced the chart history to 35,000 points and the chart update rate to 0.2 Hz, bringing the memory usage to 69 MB

Ran a test yesterday, had the same issue again, but this time with our serial device.  The VI appeared to freeze - stopped writing to file and sending VISA writes/DAQmx reads - and the computer was highly unresponsive.  I tried to open task manager but was given the error "The application failed to initialize properly 0xc0000017", I could not open any folders (tried to open my docs and was given the error "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service"),  and most windows shortcuts did not work.  After I stopped the VI and let the system sit for a minute, all functionality was restored and the PC was working normally.

Any help anyone is able to provide to an inexperienced Labview programmer would be greatly appreciated - this problem is severely affecting our ability to test !

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(720 Views)

Bryan,

This sounds like some kind of pc problem.  Any chance your anti-virus is trying to do a background scan?  Some kind of automatic update?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(718 Views)