LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a breakout board for sbRIO-9636 IDC headers to access IOs from breadboard (or terminal block)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have a sbRIO-9636 and would like to use it for prototyping something.  It has 2 50-pin IDC headers to access to many I/Os. The problem is that the board's IDC pitch is 2mm instead of more standard 2.54mm (0.1") pitch. I want to access to these IOs from breadboard but all the breakout board I can find is 2.54mm (IDC header side). I did a lot of google search today but no luck so far. 

Is there an easy way to access to these sbRIO IO's from breadboard or a terminal block?

Thank you in advance!

TailOfGon
Certified LabVIEW Architect 2013
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,687 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TailOfGon

Hi TailOfGon,

I know the product manager for the Single-Board RIO is still working on getting this product posted to ni.com, but NI recently released a cabled IDC breakout board for the 2mm connectors on Single-Board RIO.  A single breakout board can provide screw terminals for both the Analog IO and Digital IO headers at the same time. The board matches the mounting holes of the sbRIO-962x and sbRIO-963x, and can be mounted on the underside of the Single-Board RIO with short 2mm cables (included) to wrap around to the breakout board.

You can add the following PN to cart on the NI website, or you can call and place an order:

sbRIO 2mm IDC Connector Breakout
784507-01

In addition, an NI Alliance Partner, Cyth Systems, has built a board-to-board breakout for the 2mm headers on Single-Board RIO as well.  You can see my previous post, including a picture of their breakout board here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/sbRIO-9636-Question/m-p/3021431/highlight/true#M863321

Regards,

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
Message 2 of 6
(3,624 Views)

Spex, thank you for having looked into this

>>sbRIO 2mm IDC Connector Breakout
>>784507-01

Can you post a picture of this product? Glad to know that NI has a product like this. I would list it as one of the development kit items though. Wasted many hours for it.

I was able to find the pricing here but no photo.

By the way, I found a product that could temporarily solve my situation in case anyone else is looking.

TailOfGon
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,613 Views)

Hi TailOfGon,

This is a very new development, hence why is isn't on the website yet nor was it in the development kit.  I know NI plans to update the development kits (at least for the new sbRIO-9627 & 9637 devices based on Zynq) to include this breakout board, if it hasn't been done already.

Sorry for the frustration and wasted hours, but hopefully your need is demonstrative of a larger need this new accessory will fill for many people.

Regards, 

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,606 Views)

Hi TailOfGon,

Here's an 'unofficial' picture of the new breakout board to give you a rough idea what it looks like while we work to get it online.

Regards,

Eric

Message 5 of 6
(3,568 Views)

Thank you for posting a picture! It looks good 🙂

TailOfGon
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,563 Views)