LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging key strokes

Solved!
Go to solution

I need to develop software that will log keystrokes. Does LV 8.6 have the VI's to do this?

Thanks,

guilio

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,035 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author guilio_2008
you could use an event structure with a key down event to log your key strokes
Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
*Kudos always welcome:)
Message 2 of 13
(5,025 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,022 Views)

I tried using the even structure but wasn't able to get a key stroke to even show up.  Seems like when I did the key stroke even, it would either stay in Timeout case or if I did press a key, nothing would happen.  Any examples of a keystroke event structure?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,989 Views)
Something like this maybe Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 13
(4,983 Views)

Got it.  Thanks.  The only problem though is the labview window has to be up in order for it to work.  Anyhow way to have it "ghost" and still have it capture keystrokes?

Thanks,

guilio

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,949 Views)

This sounds like spyware Smiley Mad

.... anyway, you can use a property node to hide the front panel.... hacker

Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,944 Views)
Are you trying to capture all keystrokes - from any window? The event structure example will only capture keystrokes when the VI is active and only from the active VI so your question does not make much sense. You can't use the example to capture keystrokes in any window.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,942 Views)

To start of, it's not spyware or I'm not trying to do anything bad.  We run multiple test and want to capture settings from everyones tests when they change values and log the date and time.  I just don't want to have 3 VI's, plus excel, Project, our saving folder, image capturing software, and this all up.  Gets too clustered in the tool bar and on screen so I rather have it just load when we start the VI and not worry about it.

I tried looking into the property nodes and seen the transperancy, etc...but nothign that will leave the VI running in the background.

I do want to capture keystrokes, numbers and letter.  Were not using symbols.  If your saying that the example will not capture keystrokes in any window, then what I have now is not what I want.  Looking to run this VI, have it disappear, log data, then I can pull up the saved data when everyone is done and compare.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,934 Views)

Just use the Connectivity>Input Device functions. The Acquire Input Data will capture all keystrokes.

Capture Keyboard.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,930 Views)